Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by jhdeasy

Question 1: Do any of Via's Quebec City to Montreal trains run through to Ottawa, after some period of layover at Montreal, rather than terminating at Montreal?

The Via timetables suggest all the Quebec City to Montreal trains terminate at Montreal, and that traveling on to Ottawa requires boarding a new consist which originates at Montreal, after you have a layover period at Montreal.

Question 2: Can anyone confirm there is private railroad car parking, with available HEP ground power and potable water, in the station at Ottawa?

I'm asking because I'm planning a trip from New York to Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa, with private car MOUNT VERNON, during 7/23/2011 thru 7/30/2011 ... sometimes I get better information and quicker response at forums such as this one than waiting for the Via or Amtrak headquarters staff to answer my questions.
  by Ken V

jhdeasy wrote:Question 1: Do any of Via's Quebec City to Montreal trains run through to Ottawa, after some period of layover at Montreal, rather than terminating at Montreal?
VIA changes its equipment rotation cycle from time to time but normally consists assigned to the Quebec City - Montreal trains these days are captive to that routing and don't often venture to Ottawa or other points west.
jhdeasy wrote:Question 2: Can anyone confirm there is private railroad car parking, with available HEP ground power and potable water, in the station at Ottawa?
I don't know the answer to this question. Since VIA does overnight some of its trains in Ottawa station I would expect such facilities are available however.