• Pulling to the End of the Platform

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by WMATAGMOAGH

Yesterday afternoon at about 4 PM, I got a 6 car Rohr set from Tenleytown to Dupont Circle being operated in manual mode. The train pulled up to the front of the platform at each station. I figured it was an 8 car train until I got off and saw it was only 6. I think I saw one other train going in the other direction doing the same thing. On the return trip, my train was in automatic mode and made all the stops at the normal locations.
  by Sand Box John

"WMATAGMOAGH"
Yesterday afternoon at about 4 PM, I got a 6 car Rohr set from Tenleytown to Dupont Circle being operated in manual mode. The train pulled up to the front of the platform at each station. I figured it was an 8 car train until I got off and saw it was only 6. I think I saw one other train going in the other direction doing the same thing. On the return trip, my train was in automatic mode and made all the stops at the normal locations.

This sounds like a dumbing down of the operating procedures for the operation of trains regardless of length in manual mode to reduce and or eliminate the opening of door off the platform.

The issue about train operators not remembering how long their trains are could be solved by training operators to regularly check the status of the displays on the console as they operate the train. This is one of the things I was taught when I learned to operate a motor vehicle.
  by WMATAGMOAGH

Sand Box John wrote:"WMATAGMOAGH"

This sounds like a dumbing down of the operating procedures for the operation of trains regardless of length in manual mode to reduce and or eliminate the opening of door off the platform.

The issue about train operators not remembering how long their trains are could be solved by training operators to regularly check the status of the displays on the console as they operate the train. This is one of the things I was taught when I learned to operate a motor vehicle.
I agree. No one ever mentioned that the number of cars is on the console in news reports. Dr Gridlock and Lena Sun never responded to my suggestions that they look in to it. I will say that my operator on Thursday was one whose voice I recognized, he isn't new.
  by SchuminWeb

That definitely sounds like a dumbing down of the operating procedures, all right. Six-car trains should only pull to the end of the platform if there's a bona fide need for it, like at Gallery Pl-Chinatown, where boarding and alighting needs to be at the end of the platform.

On that same note, I'm sure Shady Grove passengers at Gallery Pl-Chinatown would NOT be amused to see the train pull a full 150 feet from the east end of the platform where the crossover is.
  by Robert Paniagua

On that same note, I'm sure Shady Grove passengers at Gallery Pl-Chinatown would NOT be amused to see the train pull a full 150 feet from the east end of the platform where the crossover is.

I actually ride in the head car going to Shady Greove, so I have a long walk anyways from the gold/green lines, but I do agree with you when it comes to those who want to ride in the back of the train.
  by realtype

Robert Paniagua wrote:On that same note, I'm sure Shady Grove passengers at Gallery Pl-Chinatown would NOT be amused to see the train pull a full 150 feet from the east end of the platform where the crossover is.

I actually ride in the head car going to Shady Greove, so I have a long walk anyways from the gold/green lines, but I do agree with you when it comes to those who want to ride in the back of the train.
Shady Grove wasn't planned properly. They need another set of escalators and stairs, like College Park or Greenbelt. I don't usually take Metro in peak time, but when my MARC train flies by I usually see a very large crowd of riders waiting to get down the stairs/escalator.

I haven't noticed 6-car trains pulling to the end of the platform on the Red or Green lines though. I have noticed that Metro has put up some very large gold signs with a large black "8" on them at the end of platforms, obviously to remind the operators to stop at the end with eight car trains.
  by Robert Paniagua

Shady Grove wasn't planned properly. They need another set of escalators and stairs, like College Park or Greenbelt. I don't usually take Metro in peak time, but when my MARC train flies by I usually see a very large crowd of riders waiting to get down the stairs/escalator.

Yeah, I can attest that very much, when I get out at Shady Grove, the escalator and stairway is soooooo crowded, I instead prefer to wait for the elevator to get me back to the faregate area. They should have added another stairway there, like they do at Braintree Red Line here in Boston, they have two sets of escalator/stairway combination and that allows for everyone at once to get out during peak hours and special events in Boston that draw large crowds, so I use the stairs rather that the elevator while there, but in Shady Grove, I hope they put in another elevator/escalator combo to alleviate cramming and crowding at the platform level
  by CHIP72

WMATA is currently conducting some sort of test on the Green Line where all 6 car trains pull to the end of the platform. I don't like it; the trains have better alignments with the escalators/steps in many stations when the trains are centered relative to the platform.
  by realtype

CHIP72 wrote:WMATA is currently conducting some sort of test on the Green Line where all 6 car trains pull to the end of the platform. I don't like it; the trains have better alignments with the escalators/steps in many stations when the trains are centered relative to the platform.
When they do, once again customers will protest which will make them move the stopping back. Just like earlier this year some "clever" guy at Metro decided it was a good idea to run four car trains off-peak during winter. That "idea" lasted about a month. I can't believe Metro is going to incovenience their passengers because of the incompetencies of some of their operators.
  by WMATAGMOAGH

CHIP72 wrote:WMATA is currently conducting some sort of test on the Green Line where all 6 car trains pull to the end of the platform. I don't like it; the trains have better alignments with the escalators/steps in many stations when the trains are centered relative to the platform.
It is a test of 8 car trains primarily, during which they are having all 6 car trains pull all the way up. As soon as the test is over, I expect normal stopping patterns to resume. The test is also affecting Yellow Line trains on their entire route.
  by HokieNav

Is this only during non-rush hours or something?

My 6 car green line train stopped at the usual locations this morning from Gallery Place to Navy Yard (I'd notice, because I always ride in the last car - if they had pulled to the end, I wouldn't have been able to get on!).
  by WMATAGMOAGH

HokieNav wrote:Is this only during non-rush hours or something?

My 6 car green line train stopped at the usual locations this morning from Gallery Place to Navy Yard (I'd notice, because I always ride in the last car - if they had pulled to the end, I wouldn't have been able to get on!).
The test was just Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of last week.
  by CHIP72

WMATAGMOAGH wrote:
HokieNav wrote:Is this only during non-rush hours or something?

The test was just Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of last week.
Yeah, my bad on posting the information above; I didn't know the test was only those 3 days last week until after the fact.
  by farecard

realtype wrote: Shady Grove wasn't planned properly. They need another set of escalators and stairs, like College Park or Greenbelt. I don't usually take Metro in peak time, but when my MARC train flies by I usually see a very large crowd of riders waiting to get down the stairs/escalator.

Try Silver Spring and others, where there are NO stairs. They are badly needed.
  by Sand Box John

farecard"
Try Silver Spring and others, where there are NO stairs. They are badly needed.

Silver Spring originally opened with one entrance, it now has two. The second entrance is on the north side of Colesville Road. Mind you it is only useful to those heading to destination on the north side of Colesville Road.