• PTIS (GPS Tracking) On The Commuter Rail Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Hoopyfrood

sery2831 wrote:PTIS is now in service on the Fitchburg Line as of today.

For the North Side it is also functioning on Lowell Line. South Side has it working on the Needham Line, Franklin Line, and the Old Colony Lines.
Was surprised by this waiting for 412 this morning. Was about 1 minute off (which I'd consider accurate given what it's trying to do). The only thing that I don't like is that with the reprogramming it seems like the signs are blank a lot making them appear dead most of the time.
  by jamesinclair

Anybody know how it handles skipped stops like Yawkey?

Is there a countdown at Yawkey for EVERY train, or just the ones scheduled to stop?
  by Diverging Route

It will be interesting to see how it handles short turns, such as the 831/832 at Mansfield. After 831 discharges at Mansfield, it proceeds south to the interlocking and the crew changes ends. But it holds there until Amtrak 66 blows by at 125 mph :-D . Then 832 crosses over and platforms for the inbound run.
  by danib62

sery2831 wrote:PTIS is now in service on the Fitchburg Line as of today.

For the North Side it is also functioning on Lowell Line. South Side has it working on the Needham Line, Franklin Line, and the Old Colony Lines.
I dunno I took train 427 yesterday and it wasn't being used so individual results may vary.
  by octr202

Doesn't the system rely on the onboard equipment being set up for the correct train number (as does the new ASA (automated stop announcements) system)? In theory, changing the system from 831 to 832 (or anywhere else on the system) should update the notification system...but then you probably won't get as much advance notice then.
  by sery2831

The system works by having the trains conductor enter the train number into the PTIS unit. This communicates with the signs via a wifi connection. I am not sure how the terminals display train arrival/departure info. The only place I have seen the signs work is Anderson. The stations with the 'red' signs seem to be off and while we make a station stop they display a generic message once or twice while we are there.
  by Arlington

Where stand any plans to make GPS data available for developers of phone/web applications? It seems that the fastest way to get such data to people waiting in their cars (see separate idea for low-power radio broadcasts at stops) would actually be to get it made available via applications like MassTransit for the iPhone/iPodTouch, the way that NextBus is putting out info on the 39, 111, etc.
  by jamesinclair

Arlington wrote:Where stand any plans to make GPS data available for developers of phone/web applications? It seems that the fastest way to get such data to people waiting in their cars (see separate idea for low-power radio broadcasts at stops) would actually be to get it made available via applications like MassTransit for the iPhone/iPodTouch, the way that NextBus is putting out info on the 39, 111, etc.
They plan on rolling out the data for all bus routes this year, so it makes sense that commuter rail would follow, but nothing has been announced.
  by mbcrvictim

As a daily rider of the commuter rail, I can without a doubt say that this is the worst system MBCR has ever inflicted upon its passengers. The automated station announcements onboard the trains are simply wretched. The voices are computerized and obnoxious, the stations are over-announced, and more often than not the volume is deafening. This morning, it was repeating every announcement two or three times! You would have thought that once the quiet cars were rolled out there would be a place to escape this thing, but now they use it to announce the location of the quiet car, in the quiet car! Plus, this is now being abused with messages constantly telling us to pick up our trash and be considerate.

I am by no means the only passenger who absolutely hates this system. What do we need to do to kill this thing off for good, or at the very least, make a car where we can escape it and relax on our long commutes?
  by AEM7AC920

If you were hearing double announcements on the train it usually happens when there are 2 control cars in the set with both ptis systems active. Usually you can log one off but it doesn't always work and as far as the announcements they will never be silenced in the quiet car well as far as station stops, sure it falls under an ADA rule.
  by MBTA3247

What I find odd about the automated announcements is that some of them are really awkwardly worded. For example: "Next stop: XXXX, which is the next stop." They really need to drop the last 5 words.
  by TrainManTy

jamesinclair wrote:Anybody know how it handles skipped stops like Yawkey?

Is there a countdown at Yawkey for EVERY train, or just the ones scheduled to stop?
The platform signs will only count down to trains that are scheduled to stop at the station. This means express trains as well as work/freight trains will not cause any change in the usual "Welcome to [station]. For train information please tune to 1630 AM." loop.

Fun fact: The platform signs support audio announcements, as I heard from a small (probably diagnostic) speaker in the electrical box at Lincoln the other day. One wonders why speakers haven't been installed on the signposts to help with ADA/Universal Design requirements.
  by BostonUrbEx

TrainManTy wrote:"Welcome to [station]. For train information please tune to 1630 AM." loop.
I wish this announcement wouldn't play on the radio and they could filter it out. I'm already listening, I don't need to know to go to 1630!