• PRR-style signals at New South Rd. crossing back in '80s.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Teutobergerwald

I remember PRR-style position light signals at New South Rd. crossing in Hicksville, through the 1980's, when I was new to L.I. train-watching. At the crossing, the signal controlling eastbound movement was just east of the crossing, the aspects quite visible when you crossed. As I recall, it always displayed the vertical "proceed" aspect. I guess it would display the horizontal "stop" aspect when a train passed. Anybody else remember this signal location? Could this signal also display the diagonal "approach," aspect, too? The signal controlling westbound traffic was directly across the tracks opposite it's E/B counterpart. When were these signals removed and why? Also, on the westbound track, when the LIRR freight was servicing Ruco Polymer-nee Hooker Chemicals and also Inland Plastics just west of the crossing, what aspect would the westbound signal display ??? Thanks.
  by MattAmity90

Whatever was standing at those particular locations was eliminated when the branch was electrified from 1985 to late 1987-early 1988.

Interesting fact: The Grumman grade crossing still had its' functioning signals working in 1999 even though there was a fence erected, with the Bethpage water tower under construction. A few years later those signals were removed and is now just two tracks with a gap in between the third rails and fences on both sides.
  by nyandw

alcoAL wrote:I think I remember that signal too, and believe it was removed during the Ronkonkoma electrification.
Emery map 1958: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/bethpa ... 7_5-58.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weber photos from 1943 of the area at S. Oyster Bay Rd, I believe?: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/bethpage/bethpage.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by MACTRAXX

Steve: Dave Keller's timeline of the improvements over the course of the Hicksville-Ronkonkoma
Electrification will likely show when these signal changes were made. This was one of the best
records that was kept about this project and contains good referral information. MACTRAXX