• Proto 2000 Split Axle Drive Gears

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Bartoli

I noticed lately that two of my Proto 2000 GP30s developed what sounded like a flat spot on the wheel while running. I took the trucks out of one (breaking the upper truck retaining clip in the process, which isn't listed as an available piece in the parts list) and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

So I went to check the wheelset gauge. The axle drive gear was split on all four axles. I checked the other GP30. Same thing, all four were split. Makes me wonder if I should go check my other Proto 200 engines for the same problem.

Is this a common problem on Proto 2000 units?

I dropped in the wheelsets out of my Athearn GP50 (since the Proto 2000 is basically a clone of the Athearn drive), and the noise went away and the engine ran great. I think I'll order Athearn parts as replacements, as I've never seen this problem with them...

by atsfman

Farily common, especially on earlier models. Likelife will replace them, or you can use Athearn parts which are the same.

Bob

by Chuck Walsh

LL GP's are notorious for split gears and will make good on replacements. Just call that 800 #