• Problem on the Freight Main, MP 162.15 (Auburn) 12/27/2010

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Watchman318

Main break shuts down High Street, railroad
At least the water district knew which railroad to notify, even though the reporter still calls it the Maine Central:
"[Auburn Water District Superintendent John] Storer said he contacted the Guilford, the rail line's owners to notify them of the break and the undermining. They've canceled all traffic on that line until the work is complete.
Both High Street and the train tracks should remain closed until early Tuesday morning."

"The Guilford;" is that like "The Donald"? :-P
  by MEC407

Watchman318 wrote:"The Guilford;" is that like "The Donald"? :-P
I've seen a few people on this site and on YahooGroups refer to "the Pan Am" -- doesn't sound right to me either, but to each his own. :wink:

The reporter isn't entirely wrong in referring to it as Maine Central. Maine Central Railroad Company does still exist, even though it doesn't have a public image anymore and doesn't physically operate the trains. Same goes for Boston & Maine Corp. If anything, the bigger error was the reference to Guilford, which ceased to exist in 2006 when the name was changed to Pan Am.

Anyway, thanks for the article link! Hope they get everything fixed soon.
  by MEC407

Oh by the way, are you sure about that milepost number? MP 35.85 on the mainline is somewhere north of Bangor. Mileposts in the Auburn area would be in the 160 range. According to this milepost listing, High Street in Auburn is MP 162.15.
  by Mikejf

More than likely, Maine Central still owns the ROW and pays taxes. It would be around mileage 162 as 164 is near Rumford Junction West.

Mike
  by Watchman318

You guys are probably right on that. I just went by what was on the FRA Crossing Inventory for High St., Auburn (365083A).
At least the latitude and longitude on the inventory form are closer than a lot of the ones I've seen. Still not "on" the crossing, but at least within sight of it.

I guess it's been a few years since I looked at one of Chuck's milepost lists. That one's a little dated, with the mention of GRS interchanging with Safe Handling at Brunswick. ;-)
I don't know if PAR still has rights to run as far as Hardings.

Speaking of which (and MEC), a couple of months ago, I got photos of some old gons on the east end of the siding at Hardings. All had fairly recent-looking MEC reporting marks stenciled on them; 14000-series, I believe. On a couple of them, barely visible script "The D&H" shield heralds. I almost didn't notice the heralds at first. Those gons were spotted there for loading of the old ties replaced on the Rockland Branch earlier this year.
  by MEC407

I went ahead and changed the milepost in the subject line to the one that we believe is correct; however, if it's wrong, just let me know and I'll change it again.