• Princeton Station (Dinky) Relocation Approved

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by The EGE

I did some measuring, and the actual loss is about 460 feet of track. That's not even as much track as is on the Lackawanna Cutoff :)
  by jamesinclair

The station has gone from being inconvenient and out of the way to not even relevant to the city. Out of site and out of mind I guess.

Its all uphill too.

Youd think Coach USA would plaster the area with ads. Their NYC service actually delivers people where they want to go - into town, not off to a dinky corner.
  by Otto Vondrak

Hello Everyone-

I need some help as I'm profiling this project in an article to go to press this week. I would like to draw a map that shows how the Dinky has been cut back over the years. Is there a map that shows the line at its greatest extent? Can someone please explain the cutbacks to me over the years?

Thank you in advance!

-otto-
  by 25Hz

Otto Vondrak wrote:Hello Everyone-

I need some help as I'm profiling this project in an article to go to press this week. I would like to draw a map that shows how the Dinky has been cut back over the years. Is there a map that shows the line at its greatest extent? Can someone please explain the cutbacks to me over the years?

Thank you in advance!

-otto-
Historic aerials (site) has photos taken as far back as to when the other track was still there and the roundhouse.
  by Otto Vondrak

25Hz wrote:Historic aerials (site) has photos taken as far back as to when the other track was still there and the roundhouse.
Roundhouse? When was that removed?
  by 25Hz

Otto Vondrak wrote:
25Hz wrote:Historic aerials (site) has photos taken as far back as to when the other track was still there and the roundhouse.
Roundhouse? When was that removed?
Wrong term, it was a turntable for pointing locos the right direction once they went up the branch. Probably removed in the 20's i'd guess? I think it was too small for the locos built after the 1910's. If i find more info i'll post it.

Once electric service came into play there was no need for a turntable anyways, as all PRR's electric pax power was double ended or MU.

I will do some more digging later (errands to do now), as the branch has always been a topic of great interest for me. :)
Last edited by 25Hz on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Kaback9

Thank you in advance!

-otto-
Otto this thread over in the PRR Forum might help,

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 96&t=78832
  by 25Hz

Kaback9 wrote:

Thank you in advance!

-otto-
Otto this thread over in the PRR Forum might help,

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 96&t=78832
Thanks BK! :)
  by nomis

From a post on the SJRA Yahoo group:
A report on BNN, a news service, says the canopy over Princeton's Dinky station has fallen over onto the tracks. Station is undergoing work anyway.