• Power update

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by ANDY117

The 3618 will be overhauled form top to bottom to become a SD45-3. 3012 will be fixed, not a total overaul.

And on a couple YAhoo groups I heard that the NYSW mioght possibly acquire 10-12 ex NS SD60s from the NS. Anyone able to verify this?

by Steve F45

I know this has been speculation about the purchase of sd60's. But which sd60's? The regular sd60's or the sd60m, sd60mac or sd60F?

by washingtonsecondary

Well, they can't be SD60MAC's. NS doesn't own any. (Only MAC's they have are SD80's from Conrail) and the SD60F's are full cowl units that CP or CN has (can't remember which) so that narrows it down to SD60's SD60M's or a handful of Conrail SD60I's.

by ANDY117

Standard 60s. CN has the SD60Fs.

by washingtonsecondary

That would be cool. At least they would be geting engine that were well cared for.

by Steve F45

Well im trying to work on a photoshop job of sd60 in all black with yellow lettering.

by Steve F45

if this rumor does hold true, hopefully the sd60's will be all black NS and not any unpainted conrail blue.

by washingtonsecondary

Let us remember the old rule.. Paint doesn't run an engine..

But like you said, IF this rumor holds true.....

by n01jd1

washingtonsecondary wrote:Let us remember the old rule.. Paint doesn't run an engine..

But like you said, IF this rumor holds true.....
Well considering Wally has yet to paint two of the tunnelmotors, the 3020 or any of the Pukemonsters, I sincerely doubt the SD60's, if they get them will see a coat of paint. Probably just a stenciled NYSW and road number. As to what color they come in, its anyones guess as they could be ex Conrail or original NS units. If they are ex Conrail untis there may or may not be in Blue. Of course this is IF they get SD60's from NS as this is still a rumour at this point and if rumours could move boxcars, they wouldnt need train crews.

by RichM

Really a good point. When public appearance is important, the paint job matters. When your trains generally run through populated areas under the cover of darkness and carry predominantly construction and demolition debris, it's hard to justify that $10,000 a pop.

by scottychaos

Here is (in my opinion) a realistic possible Susquehanna patch job for the rumoured NS SD60's, if Susquehanna actually gets some..

requires minimal patching..just paint over the NS markings on the side and the horses on the ends..slap on some stencils for the lettering down the side and cab-side numbers, add a logo to the nose, and new numberboards..done! :P

Scot

by cjvrr

scotty,

that looks cool but since its the unit has 3,800 hp it would be numbered in the 38xx even only numbering scheme.

As long as it runs it doesn't matter what paint it wears.

Chris

by Steve F45

scotty, dam you. i've been trying to get that done for a few days. i suck at photoshop :P

by scottychaos

cjvrr wrote:scotty,

that looks cool but since its the unit has 3,800 hp it would be numbered in the 38xx even only numbering scheme.

As long as it runs it doesn't matter what paint it wears.

Chris
thanks! I knew about the even/odd MU or non-MU thing, but I never knew the actual number was based on HP! good to know..
2005Vdub wrote:scotty, dam you. i've been trying to get that done for a few days. i suck at photoshop :P
'doh! sorry Dub..
I noticed your first post about photoshop after I posted mine!

Scot

by Steve F45

scotty, no biggie. I just wish i was good at PS to do that.