Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

Since the freight curfew seems to be pretty much out the window these days, I don't understand how BNSF can make an argument about delaying Metra service as a reason to oppose DM&E's Powder River Basin project; it's a lame, baseless excuse. It's as if they're saying, "Hey D&ME, do us a favor and get lost. Sorry, we don't need any help wreaking havoc on Metra service with delays, we're doing it just fine with our own trains, thanks."

by F40CFan

IC&E (which the article refers to as former IMRL), only owns the rails to Randall Road. From there on in, its Metra's railroad. Therefore, I think it will be Metra imposing the curfews, not the freight road.

by doepack

F40CFan wrote:IC&E (which the article refers to as former IMRL), only owns the rails to Randall Road. From there on in, its Metra's railroad. Therefore, I think it will be Metra imposing the curfews, not the freight road.
Understood. In the article, BNSF made it sound like that trains on the Chicago sub would somehow be impacted by the potential delays in Savannnah, even though that's in far western IL, along the Mississippi River. Or maybe I read it wrong. But either way, it still doesn't seem like a good reason to oppose the plan...

by F40CFan

I think you got it right. BNSF seems to be trying the old IBM tactic of FUD; Fear Uncertainty and Doubt.