• Potamac Yard questions

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by carajul

Why did the massive Pot Yard officially close in the late 80s? Everything I read says it was because the railroads were broke and had no more customers but I don't think that was the case with RF&P (now CSX).

Can anyone elaborate?

by railohio

An article, the cover story at that, in the May 1992 issue of TRAINS explains the circumstances surrounding the yard's closure.
  by Noel Weaver

Basically the need for a major yard at that location kind of disappeared
when the merger movement was under full steam in the 1980's. CSX
was the Baltimore and Ohio, Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac as
well as the Seaboard Coast Line among other roads. They already had a
major yard in Rocky Mount, NC, Richmond, VA and Baltimore, MD. Pot
Yard sat on property that had a huge value for other purposes and they
decided to classify the cars at other locations.
I suspect that the CSX does not even change crews at that location any
longer.
Many other yards around the country have also bit the dust for the same
reasons.
Noel Weaver

by LCJ

The property on which Potomac yard lay was worth far too much to justify keeping a low-capacity, unnecessary hump yard there. Hence the current "Potomac Yard" shopping area now located in the midst of that property...

http://www.mccafferyinterests.com/conte ... nt/pyr.htm

RP&P had previously separated out the portion of the yard that became Crystal City, necessitating a relocation of the main tracks to the east in order to construct the facilities there.

http://crystalcity.com/

Location, location, location.

by CSX Engineer 98

Pot Yard is still a crew point as many trains "Outlaw" at this location. It is true the main line has been Relocated and a new interlocking built to handle the traffic flow. also a couple of track remain to set defect cars off.

what a shame to see the one time Biggest Classification yard in the US reduced to Corperate Property. RF&P used to run their even numbered loco's always facing North and odd facing south.

they Bragged having North and South Humps and Class yards at each. also a lots of Run through power could be Viewed from B&M, D&H, CP, Conrail and all of the CSX Predecessors.
  by jbeckley68

If I had a dime for every R.R (Railyard) That claimed to be the largest in US/world?

Here is a short list of yards that claimed title...(I know some of these yards "largest" title overlapped other yards with same title)

Bailey yard (Still #1)
Enola,Conway and Altoona all claimed this with P.R.R
Dewitt
Potomac
Proviso
Clearing yard
Cedar Hill

Anyone have a list that shows true largest yard and time period it really had the title?