Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by MACTRAXX

In the GO TRANSIT posts I put forth a proposal that I was thinking about for a long time: GO taking over the operation on the Niagara Falls line W/service expansion? The Maple Leaf to NYC would remain as is. GO would expand service and institute new stations. One thing that I did not mention in the other post is the Welland Canal CNR bridge. Could that bridge pose a problem? also: serving Hamilton - how would it be done? I thought perhaps a new station location with dedicated downtown connections and to the TH&B station. Any opinions out there? MACTRAXX

by AmtrakFan

How much Equitment would this save VIA?

by marquisofmississauga

Much as I would like to see GO expansion, I doubt this is going to happen any time soon. As it is, the existing two trains a day take up to two hours (with only four intermediate stops,) which is absurd for 82 miles. Whilst the run on the Oakville sub. is quite fast, the train crawls through the industrial area of Hamilton. The track and signalling on the Hamilton - Niagara Falls portion was supposed to be upgraded to allow higher speeds, but the speeds reached by the trains are still quite slow on that stretch. GO trains with more stops will make it close to a three hour journey (there is still the problem of where to stop in Hamilton) and this isn't acceptable to most potential passengers. A more feasible option is to have VIA run more trains. If the speeds can be increased and those ridiculous slow orders in Hamilton lifted, VIA should be able to do the run in 90 minutes, which is comparable to buses and cars on a good day on the Queen Elizabeth Way.

VIA only runs one round trip with its own equipment: evening Toronto - NF and return in the morning. Train 45 from Ottawa to Toronto becomes train 95 to NF. It is not shown as a through train, but when I have been on #45, an announcement is made that passengers continuing on #95 may stay on board during the layover. Similarly, the morning return becomes an Ottawa-bound train at Toronto, but because the layover is longer, through passengers must leave the train and re-board later.

by MACTRAXX

Marquis: Interesting! Is the NFS-TOR train just 3 coaches and a locomotive? Good utilization of equipment on VIAs part. I do feel that the HML-NFS line can be better utilized for passenger rail service. Does VIA in your opinion treat this line like an unwanted stepchild? I still wonder now if there are other interests such as bus operators that would not like to see this happen. I agree that this route is time-sensitive and better train speeds would benefit all. Thanks - MACTRAXX

by downbeat

MACTRAXX wrote:Good utilization of equipment on VIAs part. I do feel that the HML-NFS line can be better utilized for passenger rail
Via doesn't really have a choice on this one ... With the Toronto Maintenance Centre unused for major repairs (for now, anyway) all Corridor equipment has to be cycled through Montreal Maintenance Centre. That means careful co-ordination of what equipment is handled on which train such that every car will eventually end up in Montreal for maintenance.

by Guest

What's the speed limit between Niagara Falls and Hamilton? I was in Niagara Falls last October, and while impressed with the station, the track looked pretty rickety. With the transit centre right across the street and the gambling nearby, one would think that this would be a natural route for increased service. And I'd like to see the trains that terminate at Niagara Falls, NY terminate at Niagara Falls, Ontario instead. The Amtrak Niagara Falls station....what a pit, and in a poor location!

by MACTRAXX

Vermontan: This is a good idea - BUT... Customs and Immigration being what they are today,this will not happen. The NFS station clearly is a better station location. MACTRAXX

by marquisofmississauga

MACTRAXX wrote:Marquis: Interesting! Is the NFS-TOR train just 3 coaches and a locomotive? Good utilization of equipment on VIAs part.
That is the most frequently seen length. All three cars, including the VIA 1 car being used as a coach, are used on weekdays as business is brisk between Toronto and stations up to St. Catharines. Because this is a "run through" train to and from Ottawa, there are sometimes six or seven cars on it. Most will be deadhead, of course. This obviously isn't very efficient, but it happens on a number of "run through" trains. VIA doesn't add or subtract cars at Union Station except in an emergency.

David,
Mississauga, Ont.