Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by OportRailfan

Any employees know what damage was done in the Red Bank area that they've been working on the last 2 workweeks? I know a speed restriction was placed on at least 1 of the tracks at the east end of BANK near the crossovers.
  by srock1028

OportRailfan wrote:Any employees know what damage was done in the Red Bank area that they've been working on the last 2 workweeks? I know a speed restriction was placed on at least 1 of the tracks at the east end of BANK near the crossovers.
Washout, look at the pictures on the website...#17 out of 20
They will be working today and tomorrow. Hopefully completing the work tomorrow. Restriction is on Track 2 (Eastbound Track) around Navasink River Road to Shrewsbury Ave. There is also a 30 MPH restriction on Track 1 (Westbound Track) west of Matawan Station for a few tenths of a mile.

-A
  by srock1028

OportRailfan wrote:Any employees know what damage was done in the Red Bank area that they've been working on the last 2 workweeks? I know a speed restriction was placed on at least 1 of the tracks at the east end of BANK near the crossovers.
Not sure if they are done with the work, but the 10 MPH restriction on Track 2 (Eastbound Track) from MP 15.8 (Navasink River Rd. Area) to the East end of the Navasink River Bridge is not on Today's 4:00er. The restriction at Matawan on Track 1 is still there.

NO BS
-A
  by Jtgshu

They started working on the problem at Bank (it is still in Middletown at that location) BEFORE the storm. That Saturday before service was suspended they were working on it all morning. It looks like its a sag or loss of the shoulder or base there, but I never noticed any bad bumps or anything in the track going through there. Was there any damage on track 1 side when the Shadow Lake dam gave out and washed away Hubbard Ave? Its like a straight shot from there to the base of the bridge, but it is a good distance away tho...

However at Matawan, that has always been a problem, and there has been a dip there for a while. They have tried reinforcing it with steel bulkheading and concrete blocks, but that was tossed around and destroyed during the storm as well. That area was totally was out i believe in 1955 during the hurricane which also washed out the part of the Freehold Branch line that connected to the Seashore Branch at the diamond.

Compared to the Southern Tier, the Coast Line problems were nothing, but that first picture on the slide show shows the Matawan washout and how big it is, and it is pretty darn big. Thats a tall fill right there.
  by cruiser939

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Fred is good friend of me, , known him since he was RTC at MNCR and after that as trainmaster and asst. Superintendent New Haven line
gone take lots of $$$ to fix that mess.
Yeah, I've had business with Fred also. I'm not quite sure why putting his background information or stating the fact that you know him has any relevance to the discussion though.
Ohhh I dont know, if I watch a video or even a documentary and it list someone, its always nice to have someone know a person in a video to verify that they do know what they are talking about. Cruiser, when you make it to a video(Although you did make it on here in some pictures of something in Newark :P )I will be quick to say that I know you and good guy and knowledgable. Deal?? :)
I already am a minor celebrity. ;)
  by mbaker1979

It appears that shuttle service from Port Jervis to Harriman (I assume as of now) will begin as of 9/18/11. The train numbers are numbered 13, 15, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 31 and 33 westbound and 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 28, 32 and 36 eastbound.
  by ladder2

Why would NJT run a train from PJ to Harriman? This is MN WOH territory! And what happens at Harriman ? Everybody walks
to Suffern and rides into Hoboken from there? Makes no sense at all!
  by mbaker1979

Metro-North crews are not qualified to operate trains on the Southern Tier. NJT runs the trains but MNRR pays for it.
Why doesn't it make any sense (train-bus-train), yeah it's inconvenient, but at least MNRR didnt just abandone their customers and just say "find alternate transportation". Besides that, there are local commuters that don't travel all the way to NYP or Hoboken.
  by glennk419

Considering the current state of the infrastructure we're discussing, it's beyond admirable that ANYTHING will be running now or in the near future. I'm sure most of the commuters will agree (although there will be the inevitable few who will still find reason to complain).
  by mbaker1979

glennk419 wrote:Considering the current state of the infrastructure we're discussing, it's beyond admirable that ANYTHING will be running now or in the near future. I'm sure most of the commuters will agree (although there will be the inevitable few who will still find reason to complain).
So, are you saying that I don't know what I'm talking about and that I just made up some fairy train numbers? lol
  by ns3010

mbaker1979 wrote:
glennk419 wrote:Considering the current state of the infrastructure we're discussing, it's beyond admirable that ANYTHING will be running now or in the near future. I'm sure most of the commuters will agree (although there will be the inevitable few who will still find reason to complain).
So, are you saying that I don't know what I'm talking about and that I just made up some fairy train numbers? lol
Where does Glenn say that you don't know what you're talking about? Unless I'm missing something, all he said is that he's glad to see something running up there and that most commuters would probably agree, although a few are still complaining as always.
  by mbaker1979

I read it incorrectly. My apologies. I originally took as he was saying that due to the damage sustained, nothing would be running up there at all for the foreseeable future despite the fact that I said some service was to resume.
I didn't take it as an insult either.
  by cruiser939

Hopefully some time this weekend the NJT/MN equipment will make it's way back to transit land via the NYS&W. NJT is keeping 7 sets up in Port Jervis for the shuttle service since MN wants to replicate the original schedule as closely as possible. The sets will be drilled down to 4 cars each and the cars that are due on their inspection cycles will be coming back.
  by Kaback9

Alright, didn't wanna get involved but a time out is needed. If you actually have information on the topic at hand private message Nick or myself and will reopen.
  by Kaback9

we are back in business here as cruiser brought up some good points on recent events.