• WHO'S GOING TO THE BIG SHOW IN SPRINGFIELD, JAN. 2005?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by NYC-BKO

I would but Scotty's on vacation and the transporters broke and warp drive is out. Just a little too far for me, I wish I could visit this show, also spent all my money at the Greenburg/Pittsburgh show last weekend.

by Otto Vondrak

I had a great time at Springfield this year. Got to meet a lot of people from this site this year, thanks for saying hello. Mike and Jessy also got to speak to quite a few of you. Thanks for saying hello!

I didnt buy as much as usual, but it was a good time. I enjoyed the layouts- the fellows from the On30 Conspiracy were great hosts, the folks from Dry Hill Terminal and the Quaboug Valley Railroad were also great in answering questions. Did anyone notice that train I accidentally tipped over on the Dry Hill with my camera? I rerailed it ASAP, but did not fill out an incident report, sorry about that.

Springield- I came, I saw, I slide-showed. See you next year!

-otto-

by ANDY117

Where is this show? i might have to make an appearance next year.

by XRails

It's up at the Big-E site outside of Springfield. I wasn't able to go this time around. :(

by Xplorer2000

I made it.... heck of a trip..(figures)... blew through a $#@*-load o' money, and came away exhausted , but happy. :-) :-D :wink:

by Pj

For the first time since I started going, I noticed very few railsexy people there this year. Many more families than scary looking RailSexy types.

by ANDY117

pj, what do you mean by railsexy? Scantily clad college girls?

by stilson4283

Scantily clad college girls.........Now there is an idea for a vendor to sell more trains........Hey even better bring some of the Playboy Bunnies!

Chris

by Otto Vondrak

A lot of people use FRS radios to communicate to their friends at the show. One of the vendors thought she would be smart and start advertising her products on the various channels.... that was a bad move! Every love-starved railfan at the show started calling her back!! Needless to say, she did not broadcast again that day.

I did notice more women shoppers this year. And not just following around their spouses or boyfriends either. There were some solo shoppers... one even admonished me as to where I could find a better deal on an Atlas Classics Alco I was eyeing up... they're out there.

-otto-

by mlrr

This was my first REAL train show and I have to say that my standards have been raised substantially.

I didn't buy much as it seemed that this show had mostly freight. I went up there with a list in my head and came away with just a set of decals from Highball Graphics and some Kadee stuff.

I did come away with some nice pictures and ideas after seeing the huge layouts up there. I was tempted to grab a paper towel 'cuase I was drooling so much, lol.

I also got to excercise some newly granted track rights to David Harrison's Acela/NEC Layout (http://community-2.webtv.net/AcelaTrains/TheAcelaTrain/). I also ran some of my custom painted cars on there and operated it for him for a while. He had a fully operation HHP-8 running on the layout and it is smooth running loco. I was very fortunate to be one of the first (so to speak) to operate this model on a layout.

I did not pick up the loco for fear of knocking down catenary but I could tell it's pulling power was awsome.

I'd definately return again. Hopefully I'll see some of you guys there or at another show. I may be heading to Timmonium in April.

by Xplorer2000

Opened up a coulple of my "bargains" from the show......one was a Bachman engine shop. Parts sprues are 6-3/4 inches wide, the box was 6 inches....broken/warped parts galore.... and an Athearn Blue Box MW crane kit was everything I wanted for my wreck train....til I opened the box and took a closer look....no crane boom!! All is not lost..I purchased an undercorated kit two years ago when it looked like the Blux Box kits were disappearing. Two out of almost two dozen purchases....not bad all things considered.