• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by northjerseybuff

so now that the first one is on the property, when will we see it out testing on some lines? over the summer perhaps?
  by Tommy Meehan

northjerseybuff wrote:when will we see it out testing...?
Go back one page and it's discussed. Out of Hoboken and soon.

To veer off-topic, about the FL9ac's costing close to 10 million per unit, that was a little different though, wasn't it? A second rebuilder after the first one consumed much time and money and could not get the job done?

I think the ALP45 can proudly claim the title of "Most Expensive Locomotive Ever Built." :)
  by DutchRailnut

The FL-9ac's were always budgeted for around 10 million, yes the sub-contractor down south went belly up, but since contract MNCR/LIRR was with ABB, it was ABB who had to eat the cost.
entire project was always a ABB project.
  by MBTA1052

How much did the DD40X cost because that engine as well had two diesel engines in one unit?? ;)
  by northjerseybuff

sounds good..I can't wait to see these units in service. Are all of them going to Colorado first? whats the time frame for the rest to be delivered?
  by MBTA1052

northjerseybuff wrote:sounds good..I can't wait to see these units in service. Are all of them going to Colorado first? whats the time frame for the rest to be delivered?
The remainder of the fleet will go straight to NJ because Colorado only test the first locomotive of it's kind not the entire fleet!!
  by cruiser939

ApproachMedium wrote:And what do you know about operations? I think its way overpriced. Someones getting fat off this and I doubt its bombardier. Why is it that a few years ago this was only going to be about 6mil? Sudddenly its 10.
Oh boy, AM. Now you're gonna sound like one of those idiot conspiracy theorists. I'd love to tell you you're thoughts are far fetched but my pilot just notified me that my private chopper is fueled and ready to take me back to my mansion for my lobster and caviar dinner.
  by cruiser939

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:The ALP-45DP's will really be beneficial to the lower part of the Coastline, especially providing express service from those communities to not only New York, but also Newark. For those who live in the NY area, and want to avoid the Parkway, especially who live within reasonable distance of either NYP, NWK, or SEC would be very happy to get down the shore very quickly, as well.
There's has almost never been a summer in the past 6 years where I haven't used the lower NJCL. Locals take too long, especially given whatever the mileage of the Coastline is. A few stops between NWK and LB, such as Woodbridge, Matawan, and Red Bank, wouldn't be bad either on expresses.
Not sure how many times I'll have to say this, but there are no plans currently to run the ALP-45's into PSNY. Even if there were, there is no indication that extra trains would be added to the schedules meaning that trains would continue to run local.
  by cruiser939

Tommy Meehan wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote: The Experimental FL9ac's for LIRR/MNCR approached 10 million a pop over 10 years ago.
Thanks. It sounds like maybe they are the most expensive locomotives ever built.

I'm sure one major reason for the cost is there are only 26 of them and it's a totally new design. So all the development costs sre being paid for by these 26 units. Meaning a) they're not off-the-shelf and b) there's no economy of scale.
This is incorrect. AMT also ordered 20 of these units with options for more.
  by cruiser939

northjerseybuff wrote:sounds good..I can't wait to see these units in service. Are all of them going to Colorado first? whats the time frame for the rest to be delivered?
Only one unit goes to Peublo. The rest get delivered when they get delivered. shipments are interspersed between NJT and AMT.
  by cruiser939

Tommy Meehan wrote:
northjerseybuff wrote:when will we see it out testing...?
Go back one page and it's discussed. Out of Hoboken and soon.
Jeez, this is getting a bit ridiculous. THERE IS NO TIMELINE FOR TESTING!!!

People are just throwing out random dates and the people who don't know any better are eating it up.
  by njtmnrrbuff

Cruiser, when you said how many times in the sentence, the tone was nasty. Chill out, please. I don't appreciate being responded to that way. We're adults, not animals. Thanks.
  by njtmnrrbuff

Tunneling slots are very tough to add new trains. They have to get used to running on the system first, and running out of HOB for starters is the best solution.
  by cruiser939

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Cruiser, when you said how many times in the sentence, the tone was nasty. Chill out, please. I don't appreciate being responded to that way. We're adults, not animals. Thanks.
I suggest you go back and reread the post. The post was most definitely not nasty. It just strikes me as incredible that no matter how often something is said in these threads, there will always be people who just motor through it as if it doesn't exist. If anything, I'm giving you credit because I feel that you should actually be capable of reading and comprehending.
Last edited by cruiser939 on Mon May 30, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by njtmnrrbuff

I generally reread threads, but don't always have the time to do so. Anyway, even if they run on an all stops through train to Bay Head, not much time will be taken away from the schedule. LB will still have a long dwell, since it is one of the busiest stations on the line.