• When Did the P&W start interchanging in Willimantic?

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

by bshrdr

March 5th was the first revenue run.

M-F, usually in Willi around noon, and out of town 30-40 minutes later. Sometimes they meet NECR 608 in town as well.

by Lincoln78

How will this impact train watching in New London / Groton? I visit the Coast Guard Academy periodically.

Looks like NECR loses some revenue miles. P&W is probably thrilled to reduce exposure to the NEC. I suspect they also have a little bit of pain transitting the sub base.
  by murt

Worth noting that the Willimantic-Plainfield branch, and the interchange, is pretty much closed since the derailment in Lisbon. I believe cuts of 5 cars are allowed to travel at 5 MPH, something like that? Until there is regrading and such to bring it up to track class.
  by PAR381

The interchange between the NECR and the P&W at Willimantic CT is not closed. NR-4 operates from Plainfield to Willimantic 5 days a week.

Rich B
  by shadyjay

I believe that the track from Willimantic to Versailles is "exempt" track and therefore any hazardous cargo can't traverse it until its upgrade is complete.
  by dispatcher812

The Willimantic branch is in the process of being upgraded. When complete the Ethanol will interchange in Willi and head toward Plainfield on that track.
  by TOMT7X

NECR brought down over 99 cars just for P&W early today… 80 ethanol plus mixed interchange, they had the SD60’s running, 9014-9059-3901-4005 They just blew by north from Plainfield, heading towards to Worcester this late afternoon.. 9059 leading..