• Hand gauge for brake tests

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by NV290

rwallace2fan1 wrote:
NV290 wrote:
usmcdevildog wrote:We got ours from the MYO. Even got a handy pouch to put the thing in and carry on our belt. Sweet Huh.
MYO???
Moron of Yard Operations :-D
Not really going to help any since i dont know the brand nor is that a website to buy one.

by GOLDEN-ARM

I've got a box of them, and I just unwrapped one, to see what's in it. They are made by Strato Quality Railroad Products. A "Certificate of Compliance" comes in each individually wrapped gauge package. It carries Strato PN S182. The certificate also lists the build date, certified calibration, calibration interval schedule, descrition and tolerance figures. It has a rubber clad indicator, to help absorb impact, and they probably weigh around a pound.
I also have a few "carmans inline BP testers", which is a smaller gauge, with a flat needle, like a basketball needle, but mashed flat, for insertion between two coupled hoses, to verify BP at the connection, without disconnecting the trainline. This would not be suitable for the class-1 test, as the device needs to be mounted at the rear of the end of train. Send me a PM, I might be able to let one of mine go, at a VERY reasonable rate .......... :-D

BTW, calibration for these, as in all devices measuring air pressure, calls for a scheduled time of testing, and verification of accuracy, of 3# or less, in variation between the source, and the measuring device. Calibration of this item, is effected by the user, by attaching the device to the front of a locomotive, opening the trainline, and verifying the measurement is within 3# of the EQ/BP settings. You should record this date on the gauge itself, or on a card you ALWAYS carry, in case documentation is requested, by your boss, or the Feds........
  by juliemandell

Golden Arm, do you still have a Strato air gauge you are willing to sell? I need one but as I just registered here today, I can't send private messages yet. Hope you see this post!
thanks so much,
Julie
  by booma_135

I got a couple from my dad who's a carman. They come in handy sometimes. The problem is if it's not calibrated they can bust you for it.
  by juliemandell

I did end up ordering a couple from Strato and they calibrated them before shipping, so it all worked out : )
  by cigardave

If it makes you feel better, Carmen have to scrounge for one of these too.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

yes, i still have a few left. i have a certified mechanical inspector rating, and can calibrate the gauge if you need it done. you can calibrate your own, with a locomotive, as long as you affix a test date on it. send me a pm, if you need one. i still have 3 or 4 left.