Railroad Forums 

• Hand gauge for brake tests

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#427281  by NV290

Does anyone know where to buy the lightweight conductors/carmens brake test gauge that attaches to the end of the trainline? I know a company called Quantam used to make them, but i cannot even find their website anymore. I know UP uses the nice ones

#427309  by jg greenwood

Why do most class-1s' act as though these are pieces of gold? The time saved by equipping all conductors/brakemen with these little jewels would be considerable! Do the air-test on your pick-up, tie back on to your train, get your 5-down /5-up and blast off! No more lounging at the tie, suffering from the cold/rain/snow/sleet/ heat until the air is pumped up on a 10,000' train to get your set; should be standard issue for all trainmen.

#427352  by NV290

Thanks for the quick responses. I too don't get why they don't make these things standard equipment for crews. Instead they make you lug a marker around.

As for Strato, they look good. Do you recall the price?. They are still different then the ones i saw though. The ones i saw were all aluminum, silver in color and weighed almost nothing. I have one from Quest and while it works great, it's made of steel and weighs about 4lbs.

#427382  by slchub

I have feeling that if the RR's issued one with their lanterns, the majority of them would sit at home or get thrown into a river. I've only seen one old timer with one. He keeps it in a sock in his grip.

#427494  by powerpro69

I keep one in my grip, handy as hell for these little pick up jobs, beats that big ole heavy EOT

#427765  by booma_135

all you got to do is ask a carmen for one. you dont have to buy them. most carmen can hook you up for like a 12 pack or something. take care of them and they will take care of you.

#428254  by powerpro69

One more question about hand held gauges, is there a tonnage restriction on them?

#428256  by jg greenwood

powerpro69 wrote:One more question about hand held gauges, is there a tonnage restriction on them?
Tonnage restriction? Not sure I know exactly what you're referring to. Some roads (BNSF) require calibration.

#428278  by powerpro69

Tonnage restriction? Not sure I know exactly what you're referring to.
haha, I'm not sure either, I had a manager questioning me about it the other day??

#428281  by jg greenwood

powerpro69 wrote:
Tonnage restriction? Not sure I know exactly what you're referring to.
haha, I'm not sure either, I had a manager questioning me about it the other day??
Who knows where those puppies are coming from! :wink:

#432684  by usmcdevildog

We got ours from the MYO. Even got a handy pouch to put the thing in and carry on our belt. Sweet Huh.

#432697  by CSXT 700

On CSX we have them as standard issue, when you get your radio and lantern. They are nice to have. Save me lots of time.

#432703  by NV290

usmcdevildog wrote:We got ours from the MYO. Even got a handy pouch to put the thing in and carry on our belt. Sweet Huh.
MYO???

#432713  by rwallace2fan1

NV290 wrote:
usmcdevildog wrote:We got ours from the MYO. Even got a handy pouch to put the thing in and carry on our belt. Sweet Huh.
MYO???
Moron of Yard Operations :-D