• Amtrak hiring process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by CSX Conductor

MikeJ wrote:
cuzzinjj wrote:hellooooooo

Hi.
Lol!

I don't think they would offer the job until after everything checked out, so you should be all set. Usually the same goes for the physical, if you don't pass the Medical dept will probably prevent you from heading to Wilmington until is straightened out.
  by cuzzinjj

well they still dont have my background back physical checked out fine I'm not understanding!!!!!!???????????? Can anyone help
  by slchub

The railroad moves at it's own speed. If read back through the posts (we started this forum in 2004) you'll see plenty of questions and answers regarding your question many times over.

Patience. You'll get your answer soon.
  by mkerfe

15.75 is the training rate while you are in Wilmington. 19.40 is when you mark up.

I'm pretty sure that Conductors who come over from other RR's don't bring over their pay rate or vacations.
  by CSX Conductor

I could see trainmen from Class I's having to start over pay-wise, but I think they should be able to carry their vacations. Again, this would only be found in conductors contracts and or through HR / Labor Relations. No matter what, if you're in freight now and thinking about coming over...do it. Much better pay and lifestyle...especially on the NEC.
  by slchub

Do it. The pay issue will be minor compared to long term effects of running freight for 30+ years. Even while on an extra board you'll still have a semblance of a schedule and a scheduled day off. Your vacation and RRB hire date will transfer with you.

I left the UP 4 years ago and have not looked back since.
  by santaklause09

Thanks everybody for the above responses! I think I'm gonna give it a shot and apply for the A/C possistion out of Philadelphia, even though I know its gonna hurt the wallet in the short term. I'm supprised to see they are hiriring 3 for Philadelphia, I really thought it was a small crew base and didn't know there was such a demand. Does anybody know what the work is like out of Philadelphia? I assume its running on the NEC and out to Harrisburg. Do any of the runs require staying away overnight or is it always returning back to Philly at the end of the shift? Also is there an extra list for Philly or how does that work? I'm used to the list working for Conrail, but how are the hours over at Amtrak and how much senority does in that terminal to hold a regular assignment? Come on people give me some ideas as to why I sould leve freight and come over to Amtrak lol... Thanks again for any info you can provide!
  by cuzzinjj

everything was good if somebody needs in detail information on hiring process contact me
  by amtrakhogger

santaklause09 wrote:Thanks everybody for the above responses! I think I'm gonna give it a shot and apply for the A/C possistion out of Philadelphia, even though I know its gonna hurt the wallet in the short term. I'm supprised to see they are hiriring 3 for Philadelphia, I really thought it was a small crew base and didn't know there was such a demand. Does anybody know what the work is like out of Philadelphia? I assume its running on the NEC and out to Harrisburg. Do any of the runs require staying away overnight or is it always returning back to Philly at the end of the shift? Also is there an extra list for Philly or how does that work? I'm used to the list working for Conrail, but how are the hours over at Amtrak and how much senority does in that terminal to hold a regular assignment? Come on people give me some ideas as to why I sould leve freight and come over to Amtrak lol... Thanks again for any info you can provide!

There are no overnight (away from home terminal) layovers in Philly. Amtrak is looking for new hires due to several retirements. There is an extra list that works Phl-NY,Phl-Was,& Phl-Hbg in addition to yard jobs and work trains in Philly and Wilmington. Philly has always been a high seniority crew base, so there is not a guarantee that you will hold the list. You may get displaced out of the crew base, so you would have to exercise your seniority to either NY or Was ( or maybe Hbg.) The pay can be good when the list turns in summer (during vacations) when you can work just about everyday. The hours vary, but you can usually know when you are going to work and you get one day off a week (on the list.)
  by Lefty33

Thanks for the info about Philly.

I just applied for the A/C job there yesterday and I also applied last week for the A/C job that is open in Harrisburg and I was wondering if you had any input as to what the crew base/list is like there.
  by amtrakhogger

Lefty33 wrote:Thanks for the info about Philly.

I just applied for the A/C job there yesterday and I also applied last week for the A/C job that is open in Harrisburg and I was wondering if you had any input as to what the crew base/list is like there.
Harrisburg is a much smaller crew base than Philly, and has fewer jobs but one plus is the lower cost of living in central Pa. All road jobs in Hbg (zone 2) just work to Philly and there is the occasional work train that is based in Lancaster.
Last edited by amtrakhogger on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Lefty33

Thanks again for the response.

I live more or less in the middle of the two bases and I'm hoping to get lucky with one or the other.
  by lturne18

Re: amtrak hiring process

Post by cuzzinjj » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:57 am
everything was good if somebody needs in detail information on hiring process contact me

So, I'm a senior in college, hoping to be done around August. I intend to apply for several jobs, but Amtrak is at the top of my list. I was wondering if you could shed some light on the requirements regarding credit checks. I'm behind on payments for numerous bills and need a job that will help me pay it all of, the current gives insufficient funds.
  by cuzzinjj

the thing on the credit check is that they most likely want to see you making progress. Seeing how there is a lot of people in finical hardships right now but fresh out a high-school try to keep your credit good because you will probably need it in the long run
  by railra

Shoot I've have try to become a Amtrak assistant conductor since the day I finish high school which was back in 2007 and still no luck i just don't know what Im doing wrong! Currently now Im a Flight Attendant with a international airline and like it but it would make me the happiest person in the world if i could at least for christ sake to gain a interview with Amtrak! I just apply for the assistant conductor job out of D.C and hope to hear something from HR soon..... :)