• Amtrak hiring process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Caseyjoenz

Hey everyone, I worked 16 years for the UP, 12 as an engineer. I passed Amtrak's tests, interviewed for the location with the Superintendant and interviewed very well. The interview was on Tuesday, today is Friday...just wondering how long things generally take. BTW, I interviewed for a position in Milwaukee. Any information you may have would help. Thanks!
  by slchub

For what it's worth, I recvd. a offer the same day (within 4 hours of the interview) with Amtrak as a re-entry engineer (2007). However, it took the UP 5 weeks to get back to me when hiring out as a trainman.

I guess it is like anything else. Each Division is different (in so much as the HR Dept. and Mgt.). They may not have conducted all of the interviews by Friday either.

Good luck!
  by KV1guy

First time I applied, weeks went by only to finally get that "you were the closest runner up" letter. Almost a year later, I got a call to ask if I wanted to interview again. Went to interview, flew back to Atlanta same day and when I landed had voicemail with an offer. Seems that guys that get on they generally tell pretty quickly.
  by CSX Conductor

I interviewed on a Friday and got job offer phone call before noon on Monday. It depends on the HR office, I believe.
  by Caseyjoenz

HR guy from Chicago called yesterday saying he was on vacation for 10 days and would catch up and be in touch...so, we'll see.
  by matawanaberdeen

Caseyjoenz wrote:...and almost a month after the original post, offered a job today. :)
Congrats awesome!
  by CSX Conductor

Congrats. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
  by cuzzinjj

i just got a call last wed. for a position from ast. conductor with amtrak I wanted to know from someone who is for sure once they have offer a job and you accept have they already done you background and credit check. And i take my physical tuesday and leave thing saturday for training. So would i need to wait on the test or would they just send me out????????????
  by cuzzinjj

hellooooooo
  by MikeJ

cuzzinjj wrote:hellooooooo

Hi.
  by santaklause09

While searching jobs on Amtrak.com, I noticed that Assistant Conductors start out higher in Washington D.C at 19.40 and hour, compared to the 15.75 everywhere else that is hiriring an A/C. Does anybody have any idea why the pay is higher in D.C? If I knew there was a possibility of making a better starting rate I would have put my application in a while ago. I currently work for Conrail as a conductor, does anybody know if Amtrak will hire prior experienced conductors at a higher rate, kinda like what they do with engineers? Thanks!!!
  by CSX Conductor

Perhaps the higher rate listed was at full rate, and the lower side that you originally saw was the beginning of the progression rate. I beleive a/c's start at 75% of the full rate. i've never heard of any conductors from a Class I coming over at full rate, unless they were old-heads that had prior rights.