• Tampa Trolley Line (TECO)

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by sery2831

When the line opened it operated "left handed" on the passing sidings. I was able to visit the system last Saturday night and noticed it operated "right handed" now. Does anyone know why the change of operation was made? I have also read about an extension under construction, but did not see any construction on the downtown end from the current terminus. But it was dark and didn't walk down to the current of the track. Can anyone update me on these changes? And how often do they open car operate? They were running 4 closed cars and they were very packed!
  by Disney Guy

Visited the system a week ago (12/13) and the extension to Whiting St. in the downtown area looks complete and ready-to-go.
A motorman said that the extension would be open "in a week or two".
This was on a Monday and I only saw the closed cars operating, with very few people riding.
The looks of the land and buildings at the end suggests that the line could not be readily extended any further.

(For those not familiar with the line) The existing line has two trolley wires, one for each direction of travel, spaced just a few inches apart over the single track sections so frogs are not needed over most of the length of the line (except at the car barn). The new extension has more conventional overhead with just one wire over the single tracked sections.