• Bulletproof cab?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by TerryC

In some railpictures.net photos people say the El Cerrejon-Zona Norte B36-7 has a bulletproof cab, but I see no bulletproofing. Why would El Cerrejon-Zona Norte bulletproof their locomotive cabs? http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=89157

keep asking keep learning

by mxdata

Maybe somebody has been shooting at their locomotives. There is a link on that page, why don't you use it to contact the photographer and ask?

by MEC407

The windows, not the cab, are bullet proof.

The reason for this is because the unit is going to Colombia, and there's a lot of gunfire down there on a regular basis.

by AmtrakFan

Who did the B36-7's belong to before?

John

by St-Jean Diamond

The 1012 belonged to southern, then HATX. So I gess 1013 is the same: here is a page... http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... x?id=28867

by St-Jean Diamond

BTW the comments under the left picture says clearly:
has an armor plated cab and bullet proof glass in the windows
. So I guess it's really gonna be a rough ride :(

by nickleinonen

most window glass on our cn loco's will hold up shot gun fire... i've changed out many a window that's been blasted with a shotgun while its been down in the usa... a rifle shot would go through our glass though...

by NYO&W#7

The N&W/NS had some bullet proof units for use during coal mine strikes. I wonder if these units came from NS that way?

by jwhite07

In the US, FRA dictates that the window glazing on locomotives, cabooses, and passenger cars will withstand the impact of a standard .22 long rifle lead bullet without penetration through the back surface of the glazing. In that respect, yes, window glass is "bulletproof".

Anything bigger than a .22, though, and you're on your own! :wink:

by Allen Hazen

I only just noticed...
The cab windows are smaller than standard Dash-7 windows, and have square corners: visual evidence that SOMETHING special has been done.