Railroad Forums 

• Bulletproof cab?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#81552  by mxdata

Maybe somebody has been shooting at their locomotives. There is a link on that page, why don't you use it to contact the photographer and ask?

#81579  by MEC407

The windows, not the cab, are bullet proof.

The reason for this is because the unit is going to Colombia, and there's a lot of gunfire down there on a regular basis.

#89375  by AmtrakFan

Who did the B36-7's belong to before?

John

#90434  by St-Jean Diamond

BTW the comments under the left picture says clearly:
has an armor plated cab and bullet proof glass in the windows
. So I guess it's really gonna be a rough ride :(

#91545  by nickleinonen

most window glass on our cn loco's will hold up shot gun fire... i've changed out many a window that's been blasted with a shotgun while its been down in the usa... a rifle shot would go through our glass though...

#210103  by NYO&W#7

The N&W/NS had some bullet proof units for use during coal mine strikes. I wonder if these units came from NS that way?

#216339  by jwhite07

In the US, FRA dictates that the window glazing on locomotives, cabooses, and passenger cars will withstand the impact of a standard .22 long rifle lead bullet without penetration through the back surface of the glazing. In that respect, yes, window glass is "bulletproof".

Anything bigger than a .22, though, and you're on your own! :wink:

#438558  by Allen Hazen

I only just noticed...
The cab windows are smaller than standard Dash-7 windows, and have square corners: visual evidence that SOMETHING special has been done.