• B&M Turntable in Greenville, NH

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by sparkyjay31

Does anyone have a picture or even the dimensions of the turntable that was located near the "end of the line" in Greenville, NH? Based on a site visit last fall, this was not a pit type turntable. More likely it was flush with the ground in order to avert shoveling 2 or 3 feet of snow out of it from November thru April! Thanks, Jay
  by BandM4266

The Turntable would have been 60' feet built by the Boston Bridge works. the Traction type is listed as hand.
I am refering to a chart drawn up by the engineering dept of the BM RR. in 1918.
  by sparkyjay31

Awesome. Thanks for the reply.
  by jaymac

My non-pro Google Earth doesn't resolve well enough to give a good "now" virtual tour of Greenville, but unless the turntable was constructed as a through-girder type, it would have had to have a pit. I can't recall seeing any photos of any through-girder tables on the B&M. Greenville may have had an apron to shield the pit, but I don't recall seeing any photos of even early-20th-century tables so equipped. Maybe the existing pit at Greenville had been filled in to avoid liability issues.
If someone does have photos of B&M through-girder tables at Greenville or elsewhere, please post them or provide a source, and thanks!
  by curtisfarmer

Hi everybody, longtime reader, first time poster.

I visited the turntable probably 7-10 years ago and the pit was partially filled in. Not being an expert, I really don't know what a proper pit would be so I don't know what it was in terms of true style. I say it was about 3-4' deep. I looked on Bing maps it looks completely gone now. Some mountainous areas there where it crosses the river and comes into Greenville on some huge fills. Neat area. I guess this line was originally intended to go to Peterborough either over the 101 cut (good luck) or meander thru the Souhegan Valley and cut across Wilton (where I live) and take the existing Hillsborough branch route around the mountains.
  by sparkyjay31

Thanks for the responses guys. I found it pretty odd that the pit area was actually higher than the ROW. That's why I was thinking that it was not a pit style. I was wrong. The crews must have simply put alot of material in the hole when the turntable was removed.
  by curtisfarmer

when I was there it was at grade, with old ties still imbedded on the lead track.