Railroad Forums 

• B&M Turntable in Greenville, NH

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#753905  by sparkyjay31

Does anyone have a picture or even the dimensions of the turntable that was located near the "end of the line" in Greenville, NH? Based on a site visit last fall, this was not a pit type turntable. More likely it was flush with the ground in order to avert shoveling 2 or 3 feet of snow out of it from November thru April! Thanks, Jay
 #755267  by BandM4266

The Turntable would have been 60' feet built by the Boston Bridge works. the Traction type is listed as hand.
I am refering to a chart drawn up by the engineering dept of the BM RR. in 1918.
 #756335  by jaymac

My non-pro Google Earth doesn't resolve well enough to give a good "now" virtual tour of Greenville, but unless the turntable was constructed as a through-girder type, it would have had to have a pit. I can't recall seeing any photos of any through-girder tables on the B&M. Greenville may have had an apron to shield the pit, but I don't recall seeing any photos of even early-20th-century tables so equipped. Maybe the existing pit at Greenville had been filled in to avoid liability issues.
If someone does have photos of B&M through-girder tables at Greenville or elsewhere, please post them or provide a source, and thanks!
 #756575  by curtisfarmer

Hi everybody, longtime reader, first time poster.

I visited the turntable probably 7-10 years ago and the pit was partially filled in. Not being an expert, I really don't know what a proper pit would be so I don't know what it was in terms of true style. I say it was about 3-4' deep. I looked on Bing maps it looks completely gone now. Some mountainous areas there where it crosses the river and comes into Greenville on some huge fills. Neat area. I guess this line was originally intended to go to Peterborough either over the 101 cut (good luck) or meander thru the Souhegan Valley and cut across Wilton (where I live) and take the existing Hillsborough branch route around the mountains.
 #757057  by sparkyjay31

Thanks for the responses guys. I found it pretty odd that the pit area was actually higher than the ROW. That's why I was thinking that it was not a pit style. I was wrong. The crews must have simply put alot of material in the hole when the turntable was removed.