• Signal numberplate at Clintondale, NY

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Amtrak700

Came across this driving around the Maybrook yesterday at Clintondale, NY, was amazed to see the numberplate still attached to this ABS signal, can someone tell me what the EO was for I assume it was MP 21.1 , but the letters?????
Signal @ Clintondale, NY_1_1.jpg
  by Noel Weaver

I am not sure just what the "EO" stands for but many different NHRR lines had some sort of block signal system whether it
was just ABS or CTC. It was like different towers also had a letter before the number and again this was towers that were
located on the main line between New York and Boston. Not every off main line tower had letter combinations so I can't
be sure just what they meant.
Incidentally when the CTC was put in on the Maybrook Line and the second track was pulled up, between Highland and
Maybrook they left in all or nearly all of the intermediate block signals while east from Poughkeepsie they only left in a
home signal and a distant signal. The sidings at Poughkeepsie and Highland had interlockings, power switches and home
signals at each end while the sidings east of Poughkeepsie had an interlocking and power switch at the west end of the
sidings and on the east end there was a spring switch and a dwarf signal that could display stop or slow clear for a move
east off the siding. There was double track through Danbury between Berkshire Junction and Fair Grounds and there were
intermediate automatics on this stretch too although Penn Central removed some of the automatics. There was also an
ancient interlocking set up at Danbury with home signals and mechanically locked switches controlled by a switch tender
under direction of the train dispatcher through the operator in the passenger station at Danbury. It was an interesting but
odd set up but it worked for many years and Danbury was quite busy with power changes and yard moves too.
Trainmen had to be specially qualified to work the job in Danbury at SS-198. SS-198 lasted until the last passenger trains
to Pittsfield came off in 1971 I believe.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver
  by nysw3636

I'd like to keep this post fresh, so here it goes. I live very close to this. It is along Station Road in Clintondale, NY, right by Peppino Foods warehouse. And I am also wondering what the EO relates to in EO-21-1.
  by chnhrr

You may want to contact the people at the SONO Switch Tower Museum. They may or may not have an answer.
  by nysw3636

I'd like to know the answer myself. Yesterday, as I was walking the POK RR Bridge, I noticed another westbound signal still in place roughly 500 feet from the Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge. No mileage was present, but in descent shape...
  by Statkowski

The cost to remove it probably costs more than the scrap steel is worth.
  by Noel Weaver

Statkowski wrote:The cost to remove it probably costs more than the scrap steel is worth.
In addition to this, the railroad probably no longer owns the property at this location so it is too late for them to salvage it.
Noel Weaver