• ALCO DL531 Demonstrator

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by SAR RX

I'm just wondering if anyone has any information or links to pictures of a DL531 Demonstration locomotive numbered 531 which ALCO built for the world market. As well as being a rail enthusiast I'm also into HO scale modelling and if I can find out what colours the loco was I'd like to make a model of it. The only photo I have is black and white, so while it shows most of the detail I need, the lack of colour is a bit of a sticking point. Any help with colours or links to photos would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
  by tomjohn

Here's another two pictures, hope this helps.

Tom
  by SAR RX

Thankyou very much for the help gentlemen. That is a big help and just what I was after. Looking at my book I would have thought the stripes on the Demo were green. I would never have thought they were blue. The picture of the RFFSA unit is also very interesting. By coincidence I just ordered an EMD G8 in RFFSA colours and never knew they ran DL531's aswell as a lot of EMD units. I'm always amazed where the little DL531's show up across the world.
  by tomjohn

Just for comparison here's three domestic ALCO's in their respective demonstrator schemes which I have posted. I'm not sure if about Montreal Locomotive Works had a demonstrator scheme for their line of M series of loco's after 1969 which was when ALCO exited the U.S. market .

Tom
  by SAR RX

Thanks for that tomjohn some interesting stuff there for me. I must say forums in the U.S are much better then the ones we have here in Australia. The amount of threads and information is mind boggling. Posters are a lot friendlier and helpful aswell.
  by tomjohn

I found a couple more ALCO Demonstrators. The RSD7 I think could be used for the ALCO RSD12 and RSD15,however I am not sure of this. ALCO could have developed a whole new demonstrator paint scheme for the RSD15 series.

Picture one shows an ALCO RS 11 in Demo paint.

Picture two shows an ALCO RSD 7 in Demo paint.

Tom
  by SAR RX

Thanks again tomjohn, I never realised just how many Demo schemes there were in the U.S. There have been very few over here in Australia. In fact the only EMD based Demo/Lease scheme I can remember over here has only appeared in the last 6 or so months over here.