Railroad Forums 

• ALCO DL531 Demonstrator

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#683594  by SAR RX

I'm just wondering if anyone has any information or links to pictures of a DL531 Demonstration locomotive numbered 531 which ALCO built for the world market. As well as being a rail enthusiast I'm also into HO scale modelling and if I can find out what colours the loco was I'd like to make a model of it. The only photo I have is black and white, so while it shows most of the detail I need, the lack of colour is a bit of a sticking point. Any help with colours or links to photos would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
 #683603  by scottychaos

The colors are quite faded, but the striping looks like it was a light blue:

http://abpr.railfan.net/april07/04-16-0 ... anColl.jpg

Here is my attempt at a color correction:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/ ... -DL531.jpg

Scot
 #683868  by SAR RX

Thankyou very much for the help gentlemen. That is a big help and just what I was after. Looking at my book I would have thought the stripes on the Demo were green. I would never have thought they were blue. The picture of the RFFSA unit is also very interesting. By coincidence I just ordered an EMD G8 in RFFSA colours and never knew they ran DL531's aswell as a lot of EMD units. I'm always amazed where the little DL531's show up across the world.
 #683989  by tomjohn

Just for comparison here's three domestic ALCO's in their respective demonstrator schemes which I have posted. I'm not sure if about Montreal Locomotive Works had a demonstrator scheme for their line of M series of loco's after 1969 which was when ALCO exited the U.S. market .

Tom
 #684345  by SAR RX

Thanks for that tomjohn some interesting stuff there for me. I must say forums in the U.S are much better then the ones we have here in Australia. The amount of threads and information is mind boggling. Posters are a lot friendlier and helpful aswell.
 #690067  by tomjohn

I found a couple more ALCO Demonstrators. The RSD7 I think could be used for the ALCO RSD12 and RSD15,however I am not sure of this. ALCO could have developed a whole new demonstrator paint scheme for the RSD15 series.

Picture one shows an ALCO RS 11 in Demo paint.

Picture two shows an ALCO RSD 7 in Demo paint.

Tom
 #690617  by SAR RX

Thanks again tomjohn, I never realised just how many Demo schemes there were in the U.S. There have been very few over here in Australia. In fact the only EMD based Demo/Lease scheme I can remember over here has only appeared in the last 6 or so months over here.