• Dedicated to Kevin J. McGarvey

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by pablo

That's very nice, both of you to post them, and of course of the railroad, to have done that.

I still can't believe Kevin is gone. I remember his frequent visits to Falconer, and talking to him in the shop as he took a break from his work.

Dave Becker
  by BR&P

A fine tribute to a dedicated ALCO man!

Somewhat ironic, however, since the 418, when at Ontario Central, carried identical plaques with the name of George W. Hockaday, an ALCO legend (as well as his framed photo mounted on the cab wall). When the 418 was being readied for shipment to LA&L, McGarvey was asked about the GWH plaques. His reply was to the effect of "you might as well keep them over there."

Great Lakes ore boats get re-named all the time. Just a bit unusual for the same to happen to a locomotive.
  by CVRA7

Just happened to visit this site for the first time tonight and saw this thread. I met Kevin a few years back - I hadn't been to the LA&L for years, and wanted to check out the shop (and the Alcos of course!) as we were in the process of building the RMNE's on the Naugatuck RR at Thomaston CT. I asked for permission at the shop office, and I was taken to Kevin who graciously gave me a nice tour. Turns out he had visited the RMNE's yard at the Valley RR a number of years prior, so when he took me back to check out the former New Haven C425, with a smile he said "Don't ask IT'S NOT FOR SALE!"
That's how all always remember Kevin.
Bill Sample