• Photo Editing Software - alternatives to Photoshop

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

by ricebrianrice

I have been using Photoshop for years, but recently my computer gave up the ghost, so I no longer have a copy. ( It was legal, from my previous employer, but I do not have disks or serial # to reinstall :( )

Are there any free photo editing programs that are better than MS Paint. I don't need to do everything Photoshop did, but MS Paint can't even crop an image!

Any help.

Brian
  by keeper1616

Try GIMP. http://www.gimp.org/ I gave up photoshop for it a few months back, and haven't looked back.
  by Ken W2KB

ricebrianrice wrote:I have been using Photoshop for years, but recently my computer gave up the ghost, so I no longer have a copy. ( It was legal, from my previous employer, but I do not have disks or serial # to reinstall :( )

Are there any free photo editing programs that are better than MS Paint. I don't need to do everything Photoshop did, but MS Paint can't even crop an image!

Any help.

Brian
Adobe Photoshop Elements has most of the functionality of the full $$$ Photoshop, but available for around $75 at Amazon and others. Highly recommended.
  by EMTRailfan

I'm a Gimp too. Never tried Loyd's 2, but I've seen a lot of others promoting them too.
  by Cadguru

gimpshop
infraview
photofiltre
tons of free ones out there.
  by Chessie GM50

Picasa, it is downloadable here.
  by 3rdrail

Photobucket works great for all my needs and it doesn't cost a cent. (EMTRailfan - Speaking of photos, your avatar photo is gorgeous ! If you shot that, my congrats !)
  by EMTRailfan

3rdrail wrote:Photobucket works great for all my needs and it doesn't cost a cent. (EMTRailfan - Speaking of photos, your avatar photo is gorgeous ! If you shot that, my congrats !)

Yes I did shoot it. Thanks! Here's a link to it on RP.net so you can see it a little bigger: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 46&nseq=35
  by Chessie GM50

EMTRailfan wrote:
3rdrail wrote:Photobucket works great for all my needs and it doesn't cost a cent. (EMTRailfan - Speaking of photos, your avatar photo is gorgeous ! If you shot that, my congrats !)

Yes I did shoot it. Thanks! Here's a link to it on RP.net so you can see it a little bigger: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 46&nseq=35
That looks awesome. I'm guessing that you are a fellow emergency fan, due to your RRPA having johngage in it?
  by Otto Vondrak

Just so we're clear, we're talking about photo manipulation applications- programs that let you crop, re-size, re-touch, save in different formats, etc. Not photo hosting web sites...

-otto-
  by mattl

GIMP is really good.

I hope to start playing with some of the experimental RAW support features on my new camera.
  by CLamb

The best I've seen is paint.net. It only runs on Windows OSes. You can get if from www.getpaint.net .
  by Plate F

I second GIMP and Picasa. They both have their own uses, but if you want a clean interface with lots of editing options, ask your doctor if Picasa is right for you.