Railroad Forums 

• Photo Editing Software - alternatives to Photoshop

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#619772  by ricebrianrice

I have been using Photoshop for years, but recently my computer gave up the ghost, so I no longer have a copy. ( It was legal, from my previous employer, but I do not have disks or serial # to reinstall :( )

Are there any free photo editing programs that are better than MS Paint. I don't need to do everything Photoshop did, but MS Paint can't even crop an image!

Any help.

Brian
 #619807  by Ken W2KB

ricebrianrice wrote:I have been using Photoshop for years, but recently my computer gave up the ghost, so I no longer have a copy. ( It was legal, from my previous employer, but I do not have disks or serial # to reinstall :( )

Are there any free photo editing programs that are better than MS Paint. I don't need to do everything Photoshop did, but MS Paint can't even crop an image!

Any help.

Brian
Adobe Photoshop Elements has most of the functionality of the full $$$ Photoshop, but available for around $75 at Amazon and others. Highly recommended.
 #629298  by 3rdrail

Photobucket works great for all my needs and it doesn't cost a cent. (EMTRailfan - Speaking of photos, your avatar photo is gorgeous ! If you shot that, my congrats !)
 #630653  by EMTRailfan

3rdrail wrote:Photobucket works great for all my needs and it doesn't cost a cent. (EMTRailfan - Speaking of photos, your avatar photo is gorgeous ! If you shot that, my congrats !)

Yes I did shoot it. Thanks! Here's a link to it on RP.net so you can see it a little bigger: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 46&nseq=35
 #630803  by Chessie GM50

EMTRailfan wrote:
3rdrail wrote:Photobucket works great for all my needs and it doesn't cost a cent. (EMTRailfan - Speaking of photos, your avatar photo is gorgeous ! If you shot that, my congrats !)

Yes I did shoot it. Thanks! Here's a link to it on RP.net so you can see it a little bigger: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 46&nseq=35
That looks awesome. I'm guessing that you are a fellow emergency fan, due to your RRPA having johngage in it?
 #634387  by Otto Vondrak

Just so we're clear, we're talking about photo manipulation applications- programs that let you crop, re-size, re-touch, save in different formats, etc. Not photo hosting web sites...

-otto-
 #640407  by mattl

GIMP is really good.

I hope to start playing with some of the experimental RAW support features on my new camera.
 #647649  by CLamb

The best I've seen is paint.net. It only runs on Windows OSes. You can get if from www.getpaint.net .