• Seeing the (head)light...

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by D.Carleton

If this question has been asked already then please direct me to the proper forum. That said I’d like to hear from those whose place is in the cab. (Given my druthers I’d rather be under the hood with a wrench in my hand attempting to hurt myself and succeeding more often than not, but I digress.) I’ve always wondered if there was a preference on headlight position. It may be found high above the cab ‘twixt the windshields or low on the short hood or ‘nose.’ In the opinion of our esteemed hoggers which is better and why do you answer?
  by Jtgshu

I think the higher headlight shines a little further and wider and lights up more, while the nose light focuses a little more further down teh track, but not as much around the track. However, with the ditch/aux lights on steady, it don't make much of a difference as they light up everything.

Another benefit of having the headlight up top is not having to worry about burning (or blinding) yourself while walking on the front porch to get on/off the loco!
  by scharnhorst

Canadian Railroads like low head lights on there short hoods becouse the light dose not reflect as bad as it would on a cab mounted loco in a snow storm or in the heavy fog. In the U.S. its a matter of prefrence and I beleve location in the country as well.
  by NV290

I have mixed feelings on both.

The nose mounted definatley has less glare, especially in snow and fog. But the light does not travel as far. And it's the reverse for a high mounted headlight. The only plus to a high mounted headlight other then distance is the ability to shine over medium height cars, especailly coal cars.

But i am finding on many units, the bulbs are not properly installed and simply shine way too high or way too low (or BOTH!) and then you get the trees and the ground right in front but very little down the track. I have also been on units where they simply are not throwing enough light in any direction. Seems to be a voltage issue.

Ditch lights help alot, but again, aiming them is everything.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

Yeah, what these guys said. BTW, we've done this topic already. Twice now, as a matter of fact......... :P
  by slchub

Mr. Golden and myself can attest to the dismal lighting that the Amtrak P42 units give off.

You almost want to supplement the light with your own flashlight.