• B&M in Keene, NH

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by flyingyankee

When did B & M pull out of Keene? I know Green Mountain switched afterward but when was the last of the B&M?
I remember them here as a kid and then I moved away and then they did too.
thanks
Peter
  by RRBUFF

Information from Ronald Dale Karr " Losr Railroads of New England " Green Mountain RR took over operations from Dole Junction to Keene ( the Ashuelot Branch ) in 1977 and operated it until 1983, when it was abandoned by the B&M RR.
  by TomNelligan

That 1977 date is incorrect. The Green Mountain took over yard switching at Keene under contract from the B&M in January 1978, but the B&M ran the Ashuelot Branch road job until the beginning of 1982, at which point the GM took over the whole operation. Unfortunately, service to Keene lasted only about a year after that due to a lack of business, and the rest of the branch was dead by the end of 1983.
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

...and the tracks were taken up in the spring of 1984.

PBM
  by flyingyankee

Thanks for the infomation, other that the gas [lpg] company, I wonder who the last customers were?
Peter