Railroad Forums 

• B&M in Keene, NH

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#605767  by flyingyankee

When did B & M pull out of Keene? I know Green Mountain switched afterward but when was the last of the B&M?
I remember them here as a kid and then I moved away and then they did too.
thanks
Peter
 #606075  by RRBUFF

Information from Ronald Dale Karr " Losr Railroads of New England " Green Mountain RR took over operations from Dole Junction to Keene ( the Ashuelot Branch ) in 1977 and operated it until 1983, when it was abandoned by the B&M RR.
 #606125  by TomNelligan

That 1977 date is incorrect. The Green Mountain took over yard switching at Keene under contract from the B&M in January 1978, but the B&M ran the Ashuelot Branch road job until the beginning of 1982, at which point the GM took over the whole operation. Unfortunately, service to Keene lasted only about a year after that due to a lack of business, and the rest of the branch was dead by the end of 1983.
 #606822  by flyingyankee

Thanks for the infomation, other that the gas [lpg] company, I wonder who the last customers were?
Peter