• Existing freight stations in New Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by R36 Combine Coach

That is the LV's Bound Brook freight station, which I'm hoping to visit soon. Does resemble the one in Clark somewhat.

Update: I have just finished several historic county maps from 1887 of the CNJ High Bridge Branch in Mount Olive (Morris County), which show the Flanders passenger station on it. Based on this info, I can basically confirm that the freight station in Flanders clearly dates from the 1880s during the early years of the High Bridge Branch and not 1909 as previously though. This makes Flanders among the oldest surving freight stations in the State and also the longest life in freight service (until Conrail cut back the High Bridge Branch in 1978). (CNJ's Toms River station lasted 105 years from 1868 to 1973, but remember it was a passenger station in its first two or three decades). This little station clearly deserves a place in the NJ State Register and perhaps the National Register. Other pre-1900 freight stations include Gladstone (1891), unmodified.

On the other hand, this structure in Netcong warrants investigation. Although the old freight house was located were the parking lot is (and was demolished by NJT in the early 80s for more parking room), this building looks very Lackawanna-esque, especially with its roof and design typical of early 20th century DL&W. It stands next to a old spur into Stanhope that served the US Mineral plant and other industry and appears to have some loading area facing the track. Possibly a freight terminal/storage house? Or a carload facility house/transfer station? NJ DEP aerials show some freight rail activity at this site in 1930. Currently owned by US Mineral Corp.
  by Kaback9

Well that building definetly once had some rail next to it. That would be worth looking into. Thanks for the confirmatioon on the LV Freight House at Bound Brook, I saw it an suspected that was freight house.
  by CRB

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but the warehouse connected to the Agway in Woodstown off Route 40 appears to be an old freight station.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Swedesboro. Now serves a commerical establishment. Was rebuilt and expanded in the 1960s and served cars into the 70s. Visible in 1930 (NJ DEP). The passenger station to the north was torn down in the 70s.
  by CJPat

The Netcong structure looks like it was lifted up and a larger structure built below (notice different architectural styles to include windows and doors). I have sen this done to houses too where they started off with a ranch house and turned it into a two story by elevating the first floor 10 feet and constructing under it.
  by pumpers

CJPat wrote:The Netcong structure looks like it was lifted up and a larger structure built below (notice different architectural styles to include windows and doors). I have sen this done to houses too where they started off with a ranch house and turned it into a two story by elevating the first floor 10 feet and constructing under it.
This building is not on the 1920 or "1920-1933" Sanborn insurance maps (on line version) [you need special access, the average person can't get to them], nor is the brick building between it and Main St. The smaller buildings fronting on Main St between the brick building and Bank (Furnace) st are there. There is a spur on the maps that goes right through where this building in discussion is to continue west along Bank St, so if the maps are up to date it appears the building was built after 1933. The demolished freight station is there (along with 5 tracks of the old main between the freight station and the current passenger station). JS
  by R36 Combine Coach

The 1933 Sanborn map of Netcong is also here.

The building in question might actually appear here. North of the DL&W old main line and the freight house is a single track spur that leads to "C.H. Lumber". North is the freight spur to Stanhope (US Mineral), with one through track and a stub-end on the south side. On the Stanhope freight spur is a building that reads "JC...". This could be it. It is angled relative to Main Street and the DL&W main line and is quite possibly the same building. I later looked again at the NJ DEP GIS, and the outline of this bulding appears there in 1930, but smaller in size.
  by Kaback9

Jst came back from a railfan excursion inthe trenton/camden area and was riding the Riverline back and noticed in Florence a building that could have been a freight station, If I had seen it on my way down I would have got a pic of it on the way back.
  by R36 Combine Coach

It's been a while, but here's Glen Rock (Bergen County Division), a circa 1930 express/freight station at the north end of the Boro Hall platform. The fieldstone structure was derelict in the 1970s, but restored and altered in the 1990s for commercial use. The Source, a local family support group occupies the station, but it appears the group is no longer active recently. (A check on Superpages provided no further information)

Wharton (CNJ) has its station preserved. In addition, there is (what is probably) a old freight shed off Main Street in Stanhope in a backyard. Might be from the CNJ lines running in the nearby Hopatcong area. Photos of these sites to come.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

i havent seen mention of it, but the LV had a freight station just west of Oak island, and located to the north. Last I saw it, the Conrail police department was using it, as their offices. anyone have pics of it?
  by airman00

It was already mentioned, an old Erie freight building along high street in closter, but right next to it, you can see an old siding that went right near the building. Don't know if that siding was for that freight building, someone said it was for delivery of stone cars filed with slate?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Here's the Wharton freight station at the north end of the CNJ High Bridge Branch:

A few blocks north is the passenger/express station, preserved in a park and owned by the Borough and local historical society:

The station structure I mentioned earlier in Stanhope is very similar.
  by airman00

I heard someone was able to buy an old freight house. How would one go about this and I imagine it's not cheap even for a small shed-like freight building.