• Get ready to memorize all new symbols

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

From Railpace:

CSXT TO CONVERT TO ALPHA SYMBOLS: CSXT will be changing to an alpha system for their road train symbols in the near future.The anticipated list of CSXT symbols for train origin and destination locations will appear in the November issue of Railpace. (Conrail Technical Society E-mail Update - posted 9/29)

Charles

by trainfreak

It will be interesting to see CSX convert to the alpha system. I always thought that the Letter then 3 number system was simple but i guess youve gotta change once in a while. But now it will be easier to tell where trains are going to and coming from.

by Aji-tater

Let's see what form the new symbols take. Something like Conrail would be ok but those railroads out west, oh man! We can understand 'BUSE' but who wants 'XPBUCLAZ25E' or whatever.

Or maybe we can learn something here. CSX has problems and maybe if they adopt the same system as UP or BNSF uses it could mean they're going to....naw, it couldn't be. Could it? javascript:emoticon(':wink:')
Wink

by videobruce

Major news to me....................

They could try symbols as:

NY 2
NY10
ML 12
SLX 1
SV 1
FLE 9

etc..................

by BR&P

Hey Bruce, I like those. How about DRS7, BP1, WB5, SH8 and FD4. And if there is BNSF in the future, how about LS3 - they used to pool CB&Q units on that one!

by videobruce

I would like to know where they got their info from. No one knows anything about it!

DRS7 was a NYC model number wasn't it?

LS 5
FMA 9
BC 1
BW 10
MC 4
NY 4
TF 2
BB 8

See if you remember the last one.

by BR&P

I can't recall dealing with the BB, and without digging through old boxes I can't look it up. Buffalo-Boston???

DRS7 was one of two things:
A. My brain confusing a road-switcher model with a train symbol or
B. Dewitt-Rochester-Suspension Bridge

by videobruce

A.
DRS= Diesel Road Switcher

FD 2 & FD 4 were FY to Dewitt no stops (usually)
FRD 2 & FRD 4 did stop at Roch. and Lyons (again, usually)

by sd80mac

Whatever these 2 letter symobol system. I dont like it.

I still liked CR system-
NPSE
BUEL
ELBU

for ML,

ML 488
ML 420
ML 422

TV

TVLA
TV 9
TV 99
TV 10
TV 10B
TV 100
Mail-8

BRING THESE CR symbol system BACK!!!!

ken

by videobruce

NO WAY! Too non RR
Some of those NYC/PC symbols have been around before 1920!
Conjob came and went..............

BTW, some of those TV symbols are from the PC!

by sd80mac

Still they're alot easier to memorize, esp TV and ML where it does not indicate the location... they're still BETTER than Q110 and Q377. you couldnt tell the difference between these 2 when 110 is a tv and 377 is ??? multi-level??? Especially when u are not familiar with CSX, you would think that both has same level of priority as "Q"...

lets see what CR had.

origination to termination (NPSE) for manifest
Tv XXX for trailer/intermodels
ML XXX - multilevel
W - local ?? I cant remember what they did for local jobs symbol??? WRO23 (out of Goodman) WLY012 (out of Lyons) Symbol may be wrong but pretty CLOSE.
OCS - Office Ccar Special
D - detour
Dim - high and wide
bal - ballast
Cir - Cirucus train
Eng - light move engines

I think there is a symbol for hospital/wrecked train, no?

Following these symbol are the date they origin and any x, z for extra and 2nd extra for the day.

they're pretty very easy to memorize and recongize(sp), eh?

Hey...

What did Erie Lackawanna had for their symbol?? I know that their most important trains were 99 and 100. Is it just all numbers? or what?

Ken

by clearblock

W - local ?? I cant remember what they did for local jobs symbol??? WRO23 (out of Goodman) WLY012 (out of Lyons) Symbol may be wrong but pretty CLOSE.

The CR local symbols were Y for Yard jobs and W (way) for locals.
The second letter was the division (A= Albany) so Rochester jobs were
WARO / YARO and Lyons was WALY.

by sd80mac

clearblock wrote:The CR local symbols were Y for Yard jobs and W (way) for locals.
The second letter was the division (A= Albany) so Rochester jobs were
WARO / YARO and Lyons was WALY.
That's right! thank you for helping me out!

ken

by n01jd1

sd80mac wrote:Still they're alot easier to memorize, esp TV and ML where it does not indicate the location... they're still BETTER than Q110 and Q377. you couldnt tell the difference between these 2 when 110 is a tv and 377 is ??? multi-level??? Especially when u are not familiar with CSX, you would think that both has same level of priority as "Q"...

lets see what CR had.

origination to termination (NPSE) for manifest
Tv XXX for trailer/intermodels
ML XXX - multilevel
OCS - Office Ccar Special
D - detour
Dim - high and wide
bal - ballast
Cir - Cirucus train
Eng - light move engines

I think there is a symbol for hospital/wrecked train, no?

Following these symbol are the date they origin and any x, z for extra and 2nd extra for the day.

they're pretty very easy to memorize and recongize(sp), eh?

Hey...

What did Erie Lackawanna had for their symbol?? I know that their most important trains were 99 and 100. Is it just all numbers? or what?

Ken
Conrail also used a three letter symbol for unit coal and grain trains. They usually used an X or U for the fisrt letter ex. UOR-98 which was the unit coal train for O&R in Tomkins Cove, NY.

by n01jd1

[/quote]
Conrail also used a three letter symbol for unit coal and grain trains. They usually used an X or U for the fisrt letter ex. UOR-98 which was the unit coal train for O&R in Tomkins Cove, NY.[/quote]

Oh and I almost forgot RR for the roadrailers and OJT for the juice trains into Greenville, NJ