Railroad Forums 

• Get ready to memorize all new symbols

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#58446  by videobruce

Conrail Tech. Society: 1
NYS Railfan: 0

New symbols are as follows (subject to change and other things):

Van trains; no change (at least not yet)

MLs'; start out with the letter 'A' followed by a 3 letter origin and a 3 letter destination with a number following (possible just a '1').

Freights'; same as above except starting out with a 'M'

Example:
Q629 (which was SENF, which was VNF7) will be MSELBUF1

No idea when and nothing cast in concrete.

#58514  by sd80mac

RIGHT! I forget about these 3 more symbol

I had no idea about OJT.. Obviously, I never had been there to see them.

I thought that these blocks of OJ were placed on one of these manifest trains from baltimore or philly to NJ...

Thanks for pointing out the ones I forget about.

ken

n01jd1 wrote:
Conrail also used a three letter symbol for unit coal and grain trains. They usually used an X or U for the fisrt letter ex. UOR-98 which was the unit coal train for O&R in Tomkins Cove, NY.[/quote]

Oh and I almost forgot RR for the roadrailers and OJT for the juice trains into Greenville, NJ[/quote]

#58612  by O-6-O

Sounds like system intergration with UP. Linda Morgan please call your
office. SURF(board)s UP!!

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-
 #59116  by 2nd trick op

EL assigned the 99 and 100 series to their hottest symbol freights, but a 1966 ETT in my posession shows an NY-74,-97,-98,-99 and -100 all listed. More tradtional listings such as SB-12 (Syracuse-Binghamton) and BS-2 (Buffalo-Scranton) were retained on former DL&W lines, and a few freights retained simple two-digit numbers. On a few lightly-trafficked lines such as the Bloomsburg Branch in Pennsylvania, through freights contined to operate under timetable authority.

Lehigh Valley used a symbol system similar to parent PRR, just as it used the PRR ETT format.

PRR itself could be more interesting. When traffic boomed at the height of the Vietnam buildup, the Pennsy took to running second sections on a number of its major freights, designating them CG-2A and CG-2B, for example. Even more interesting were Middle Division maids-of-all-work M-9 and M-10, which I saw in as many as five sections in the mid-1960's.

Although sections were common on eastbound moves, the drags of westbound empties which tended to peak on weekends were usually listed as extras. And coal and ore moves could be listed as just about anything. PRR wasn't too particular about how moves were noted on a trainsheet, just as long as all the reverse moves and times were there.

And just to prove how ornery the Pennsy could get, I can recall a rare unit coal move into New England on the Wilkes-Barre Branch run as a 'B' section of CSB-8 (Conway-Sunbury-Buttonwood).

#59120  by Zeke

Now if I were running CSX all piggybackers would be called Super Vans. SV-1 thru SV- whatever. Autoracks we would symbol ML-as in ML-9. Manifests would be either symboled or named let's see... CNY-4 or The Hudson. The Flying Saucer,The Chicagoan,The Astronaut, New England 98, NS-1,VE-3,Run-9, 697 and 698, Santa Fe 100, Mail -9, EV-4. All of my operating managers would have to have diesel fuel in their blood. None of this alphabet soup on MY railroad !

#59147  by sd80mac

Zeke wrote:Manifests would be either symboled or named let's see... CNY-4 or The Hudson. The Flying Saucer,The Chicagoan,The Astronaut, New England 98, NS-1,VE-3,Run-9, 697 and 698, Santa Fe 100, Mail -9, EV-4. All of my operating managers would have to have diesel fuel in their blood. None of this alphabet soup on MY railroad !
naming these manifest wont be an easy job. you got what?? 200? 500? connections between MANY yards! You would run out of the names!!!!!!!!!!

Mail-9 as manifest train????

#64417  by BR&P

Back on October 1, I posted:

DRS7 was one of two things:
A. My brain confusing a road-switcher model with a train symbol or
B. Dewitt-Rochester-Suspension Bridge

Subsequent posts convinced me the correct answer was "A". However I just came across the 1st quarter 1990 Central Headlight, with an article on Dewitt yard. There on page 31, in the list of Westbound outbounds, is

"DRS7 To Suspension Bridge departs 1100A daily. Grouping Brockport-Rochester-Lockport-Susp Bridge CN - Susp Bridge C&O."

SO - the correct answer was "B". How about that!

By the way, the article was about the NYC on the eve of the PC merger so the time frame would be late 1967 or early 1968.