• What if....

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by N_DL640A

Yes, I totally agree with you there. I was just trying to suppose a "best case scenario" type thing for a solo ALCO in response to the initial question. In reality though, I think you hit the nail on the head.
One thing I found rather ironic while working on the Cartier ALCO/MLWs for NYSW: while ALCO Spring provided us with replacement truck springs for the units, they had to be custom made to OUR specs... they didn't even have prints for their old springs!
  by Super Seis

S-W had a business plan to market and ultimately manufacture Alco-design locomotives in the US after the Schenectady facility wound down.
The only manifestation of this were (5) M420's for the P&W.
  by N_DL640A

Do you know where they planned to manufacture the post- Schenectady units, would they have been built in Canada by MLW as the P&W units were or or by a third party within the US? (Did they have a set location in their planning?)
  by Super Seis

MK in Boise would have assembled the units with engines from Auburn, electric transmissions from GE Erie, etc.

SS
  by N_DL640A

Smart idea. Probably why M-K ended up with the C636 demonstrators...
Were there ever any marketing efforts?