Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by illinidorry

I ride the N pretty regularily on weekends and never catch a slant 40. I do notice that the W's during the week tend to be older cars so maybe they have put most of them on these weekday only lines? Whats a guy gotta do to get a ride on one.
  by CNJGeep

Hate to break it to you, but the Slants are done, ore or less. There are about seven sets left system-wide. Check the (W), and maybe the (B)
  by Kamen Rider

illinidorry wrote:Whats a guy gotta do to get a ride on one.
rent SCUBA gear.
  by jtrain22

illinidorry wrote:I ride the N pretty regularily on weekends and never catch a slant 40. I do notice that the W's during the week tend to be older cars so maybe they have put most of them on these weekday only lines? Whats a guy gotta do to get a ride on one.
The B line still has quite a few slants running on it. The B line only runs during the week though.
  by jtrain22

Robert Paniagua wrote:Are they being pulled from service now? I hope not. We still need them...
Yes there getting reefed in the atlantic ocean.
  by TheKornGuy

Rush hour B trains are most all slants. When I get a B at 49/50 at about 8:45AM, it is always a slant. Wake up earlier!
  by illinidorry

None on the W line anymore...i thought i saw some sporting Ws when I was driving by the Coney Island yards a month or so ago. Guess ill have to find an excuse to take the B.
  by Robert Paniagua

I hope they don't reef them yet, they still have another three-four years of useful life to them, so I can't comprehend that the slants are being retired already. In fact, they are far more superior than the 01400s of Boston which were far antiquated than the slants (no A/C, just vents).
  by Kamen Rider

I don't know if anyone mentioned this to you, but the slants were being held together with duck tape.
  by bellstbarn

About 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 15, 2008, I boarded an E train at Sutphin Blvd, Jamaica. When we climbed to the Queens Blvd mainline, I was surprised that we moved to the local track and made a stop at Briarwood. At Kew Gardens I learned why: a garbage train occupied the express stop, with slants as motor cars. The garbage was in plastic bags tossed onto gondolas. A while later, I met slants on the northbound B. Later, I checked out the crowds outside Yankee Stadium, trying to get photos of transit and the All-Star fans. Finished, about 7 p.m., I went down to the Independent station, and boarded a B train southbound, of slants. They are around, but from the outside the roof line corrosion is convincing.
  by gjk1716

I just spotted a slant N pulling out of Astoria Blvd around 12:00 pm today (Wednesday 07/30.) This is still a rare find, though.

-G-
  by R36 Combine Coach

The Slanted R40s are turning 40 this year. The first set was delivered November 1967. Service began January 1968 and cars arrived through the year.
  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, I remember seeing a historical vintage photo of the first slant to run with customers and they were first signed to the F until the late 70s till 1981-82 when the R46 took over 99.9% of the F Train service.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this to you, but the slants were being held together with duck tape.

Oh wow, that's not good then, they'll have to, like, weld them I guess......
  by Kamen Rider

Robert Paniagua wrote:Oh wow, that's not good then, they'll have to, like, weld them I guess......
you ever try to weld fiberglass to metal?

some of this is plain corrosion and rusting. I saw a vent on the roof of a 42 that had partly colapsed.