Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#554569  by illinidorry

I ride the N pretty regularily on weekends and never catch a slant 40. I do notice that the W's during the week tend to be older cars so maybe they have put most of them on these weekday only lines? Whats a guy gotta do to get a ride on one.
 #554582  by CNJGeep

Hate to break it to you, but the Slants are done, ore or less. There are about seven sets left system-wide. Check the (W), and maybe the (B)
 #554749  by jtrain22

illinidorry wrote:I ride the N pretty regularily on weekends and never catch a slant 40. I do notice that the W's during the week tend to be older cars so maybe they have put most of them on these weekday only lines? Whats a guy gotta do to get a ride on one.
The B line still has quite a few slants running on it. The B line only runs during the week though.
 #555808  by jtrain22

Robert Paniagua wrote:Are they being pulled from service now? I hope not. We still need them...
Yes there getting reefed in the atlantic ocean.
 #556203  by TheKornGuy

Rush hour B trains are most all slants. When I get a B at 49/50 at about 8:45AM, it is always a slant. Wake up earlier!
 #556246  by illinidorry

None on the W line anymore...i thought i saw some sporting Ws when I was driving by the Coney Island yards a month or so ago. Guess ill have to find an excuse to take the B.
 #556296  by Robert Paniagua

I hope they don't reef them yet, they still have another three-four years of useful life to them, so I can't comprehend that the slants are being retired already. In fact, they are far more superior than the 01400s of Boston which were far antiquated than the slants (no A/C, just vents).
 #556333  by Kamen Rider

I don't know if anyone mentioned this to you, but the slants were being held together with duck tape.
 #556860  by bellstbarn

About 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 15, 2008, I boarded an E train at Sutphin Blvd, Jamaica. When we climbed to the Queens Blvd mainline, I was surprised that we moved to the local track and made a stop at Briarwood. At Kew Gardens I learned why: a garbage train occupied the express stop, with slants as motor cars. The garbage was in plastic bags tossed onto gondolas. A while later, I met slants on the northbound B. Later, I checked out the crowds outside Yankee Stadium, trying to get photos of transit and the All-Star fans. Finished, about 7 p.m., I went down to the Independent station, and boarded a B train southbound, of slants. They are around, but from the outside the roof line corrosion is convincing.
 #565792  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, I remember seeing a historical vintage photo of the first slant to run with customers and they were first signed to the F until the late 70s till 1981-82 when the R46 took over 99.9% of the F Train service.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this to you, but the slants were being held together with duck tape.

Oh wow, that's not good then, they'll have to, like, weld them I guess......
 #567009  by Kamen Rider

Robert Paniagua wrote:Oh wow, that's not good then, they'll have to, like, weld them I guess......
you ever try to weld fiberglass to metal?

some of this is plain corrosion and rusting. I saw a vent on the roof of a 42 that had partly colapsed.