• US track workers qualifications/courses

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by STOCKTON - DARLINGTON

hi .. i'm a British railway engineering supervisor what kind of qualifications or courses do american track workers gain to work on or near the line ??

by Gadfly

So far as I know it is "OJT". You learn the job as a simple laborer, or "grunt", work in a "gang" or traveling group, move up as you learn the job (building seniority in craft and the ability to "bid" in jobs. Eventually, you can, among things, become a machine operator. Then, I think, depending on the union agreement, one can become what we called a "pump knocker", mechanic, or traveling mechanic repairing the machines used to lay and maintain the ROW.

Gadfly

by mxdata

Every major system I have dealt with has had mandatory rules and safety training courses that everyone who will be working near track is required to complete. These are documented with written final examinations. They are required of all contractors as well as the company's own employees who will be working on or near the tracks.

MX
  by Bartman-tn

There are a number of FRA mandated training programs.

Anyone near the track must go through a basic track safety class while the employee in charge must go through a full on-track class as required by the Roadway Worker Safety standards. Additionally, many different parts of the track rules require additional training such as to work on CWR, to inspect or supervise track repairs, to operate an on-track machine, etc. In each case, it is the railroad's responsibility to determine the suitability of the course.

AREMA, the University of Tennesse, NRC and others have various training courses used by railroads. The large railroads generally have their own training departments.
  by Gadfly

I would think that this would include for many workers the Operating Rules which have to do with Signals and on-track movements. They may also have a version of a "General Conduct and Safety Rule" book as well. If you must operate a forklift, your company may also require that you take test on this as well.

Gadfly