• Feeler car

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by jerryinva

I saw it there this morning too. I wasn't sure if the lamps are missing, or if they are dark because the car is not powered. But it does look rough.... but then again....a car used to check clearances is bound to get beat up...

by realtype

Finally got some cell phone pics on Fri. of the the feeler car at Brentwood. :-D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7367453@N0 ... 856695980/
(Click "all sizes" at top to enlarge)

The car was at the North end of the yard on a track that was recently filled in with pavement (third rail also removed). Photos were taken from a Shady Grove bound Red Line train (but you prob. already figured that).

by jerryinva

realtype wrote:Finally got some cell phone pics on Fri. of the the feeler car at Brentwood. :-D

The car was at the North end of the yard on a track that was recently filled in with pavement (third rail also removed). Photos were taken from a Shady Grove bound Red Line train (but you prob. already figured that).
Not bad... the windows in the trains are always so dirty here of late... :(

by Sand Box John

"realtype"
Finally got some cell phone pics on Fri. of the the feeler car at Brentwood.

I checked that picture against one of the birds eye shots maps.live.com and against a track schematic I have of Brentwood yard. That track is not an existing track that had it's third rail remove and replace with pavement. It is a new track that was added next to the existing track 21. Note the location of the lamp posts in your pictures compared to the birds eye shot at maps.live.com.

WMATA has a contractor working on increasing the servicing capacity at Brentwood Yard.

Thanks for the picture. I will have to revise my track schematics.

by jerryinva

I am going to try to get a decent pic of the feeler car in the next week using my digital SLR... if the windows on the train I am on aren't too dirty...

by WMATAGMOAGH

jerryinva wrote:I am going to try to get a decent pic of the feeler car in the next week using my digital SLR... if the windows on the train I am on aren't too dirty...
Is this not good enough for you?

by Sand Box John

Oren,

I have a broad side shot I took on the same day if you wan to add it to your site.

The raw image is a 1152 X 864 139 KB file.

by WMATAGMOAGH

Just email it to me, I'll try to put it up (with credit) next time I update, but that may not be for another 6-8 weeks. Thanks!