• NJT F7 424

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Jayjay1213

Surprised no one has posted about this thing going to scrap. It was spotted heading west thru Manville. It was the 3rd unit on an NS train today around noon I believe.
  by Urban D Kaye

Jayjay1213 wrote:Surprised no one has posted about this thing going to scrap. It was spotted heading west thru Manville. It was the 3rd unit on an NS train today around noon I believe.
Jayjay -
Hadn't heard they were scrappin her...thought the BR&W/Bel-Del was gonna restore her.
-Urban

Saw this unit a couple of summers ago in Milford NJ....

by wolfboy8171981

She is owned by the URHS not BRW/BDRV, the BDRV plans to abandon the trackage in the paper mill where she was. Other reports said she was Stenciled SLRS witch is SMS in South Jersey, so maybe she headed down there.

by Urban D Kaye

wolfboy-
Thx for the correction on 424's owners. As far as speculation she's headed for S Jersey...you may be right.

424 was spotted on a westbound train...if she were headed for the torch, wouldn't the closest logical choice be east, to Naporano in Newark?

-Urban

by Ken W2KB

You sure the plan is to abandon the trackage to the former mill site? Or is it just out of service? It would be a shame to have the rails pulled. The plan for the museum at P'Burg was to run excursions along the river. I rode it on the speeder a few years ago and the scenery can't be beat.

by njt4172

Ken W2KB wrote:You sure the plan is to abandon the trackage to the former mill site? Or is it just out of service? It would be a shame to have the rails pulled. The plan for the museum at P'Burg was to run excursions along the river. I rode it on the speeder a few years ago and the scenery can't be beat.
WEll, the trackage is in very poor condition south of Carpentersville in and around the Quarry area. The state would probably have to supply a large sum of money for the BDVR/BR&W to fix the line up to 25 mph running.......

Steve

by nick11a

Here's a photo I found on railpictures.net of it taken on 9/12/04 at Croxton Yard.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=77980

by Jtgshu

Well, i guess that answers the question if it was lettered SLRS or not!!! If it was heading to a scrapper (which i doubt it is) don't they all have their own reporting marks that are applied to the equipment en route to meeting their maker? Isn't Naporando's something like NMRX or something like that?

by BigDell

"NMRX" - four of the most dreaded letters in the railfan world...
THankfully that is not the case for this wonderful old F unit. Happy to see it headed South to the Southern Jersey!
Man... so nice to see an F7 in NJT scheme. Makes me sad to think we don't have many nice units to look forward to. Those PL42 things are so butt-ugly. Makes the E-60's look good.

Ahhhh.... E units..... F units..... U Boats... NJT Nirvana....
BigDell

by nick11a

I wish they'd restore it and put it someplace for safekeeping and public worship like a museum or something.

by wolfboy8171981

The paper mill was bought by a developer and like everyplace else in NJ Condos will be built there. the railroad will be taken up from Holland to Milford

by OCtrainguy

nick11a wrote:I wish they'd restore it and put it someplace for safekeeping and public worship like a museum or something.

Well, New Jersey is supposed to have a railroad museum to store equipment such as this. While I do not know all of the details, the initial debate was where to actually have the museum. Phillipsburg was selected, but now I think it's a funding issue with the people in Trenton. It's a shame, some of the ex-NJT F7A units are of C&NW heritage. I'd hate to see something like this scrapped because there isn't proper storage places for historical equipment in this state.

by Ken W2KB

>>> the railroad will be taken up from Holland to Milford<<<

Has the RR filed for abandonment? I was unable to locate an abandonment petition at the STB site.
  by RAHWAY VALLEY

To set the facts straight, the former NJT 424 is not going to scrap, nor is it going to South Jersey. However, it is en route to a location in Central Jersey. The unit will be repainted as Reading Company 284.

by njt4172

wolfboy8171981 wrote:The paper mill was bought by a developer and like everyplace else in NJ Condos will be built there. the railroad will be taken up from Holland to Milford
Hate to go off topic, but that last statement really makes me mad!!! Why rip the line up if there is already a lumber company down in Milford....?? Not only that, but what the heck for?? They could refurbish the line for special passenger excursions...... Would hate to see it become a bike path......Will the rail be used elsewhere????

Steve