Railroad Forums 

• NJT F7 424

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#52948  by BigDell

The unit will be repainted as Reading Company 284.
!!

Who's going to own/operate it?
BigDell

#52955  by hsr_fan

BigDell wrote:Those PL42 things are so butt-ugly. Makes the E-60's look good.
I don't see what makes people think they're ugly. They don't look particularly offensive to me, although I do prefer the rounded curves of yesteryear over the straight edge, angular designs of today.

#53024  by njtjo

Unit will be going to Cape May Seashore Lines after painting and body work as a non powered cab unit. Sounds like it will be used like the Long Island powerpacks were. Jeff :-D

#54023  by BigDell

I don't see what makes people think they're ugly. They don't look particularly offensive to me, although I do prefer the rounded curves of yesteryear over the straight edge, angular designs of today.
That would be me. The issue is Aesthetics, pure and simple. I was raised when GG-1's were common. I am old enough to have seen the end-of-life of the E and F units. I recall the end of the Alco era with RS-3's, C-###'s and RS-11's tooling about the CNJ, EL, Reading and PC - even some RS-3m's on Conrail. I missed the baby-faced Baldwins but saw some of their progeny. To me, a "boxy" locomotive was an E-33 or E-44. Or a beloved Trainmaster. These locomotives had an aesthetic sensibility and style that was distinctive and unique. They had a curve where it counted. They had presence. They did their job and they looked damn good doing it.
These new PL42things are butt-ugly, pure and simple. They look like they were designed by comittee. Want to see an ugly end result? Get a bunch of designers to work on something and come up with a "compromise". Want to see an ugly building? Get a bunch of architects from different "schools of design" and come up with a "compromise". The PL42thing looks like a utilitarian compromise. Even the UPS delivery vans managed to incorporate a few stylish curves in the front end that makes them aesthetically pleasing to see coming down the street.
It would not have been that hard to design a good looking locomotive. But like much of present day architecture and design, there is definitely a "style" that is lacking. As we speak, Lowrey is spinning in his grave faster than the RPM's on a formula-1 Ferrari.
I realize that there are people who will LIKE the PL42thing, and God bless them. But I detested the AEM7, the ALPs and the Genesis locos. I never thought anything would make an Amtrak "Pooch" look good - but this new loco comes close.
I hope the new locos are a winner for NJT because from a financial POV they need it. I hope the crews can work safely and comfortably in them.
But in my VERY HUMBLE but quite sincere POV...they are butt ugly.
Someone gimme' an E8 fix....
BigDell
;-)

#54244  by kevinknobl

njt4172 wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:The paper mill was bought by a developer and like everyplace else in NJ Condos will be built there. the railroad will be taken up from Holland to Milford
Hate to go off topic, but that last statement really makes me mad!!! Why rip the line up if there is already a lumber company down in Milford....?? Not only that, but what the heck for?? They could refurbish the line for special passenger excursions...... Would hate to see it become a bike path......Will the rail be used elsewhere????

Steve
Don't know if the rail will be used elsewhere, however, south of Holland, the BDRV is customer-sparse. I don't think that Opydke (the lumber company you're referring to) would provide enough business to justify keeping the railroad south of Holland active.

One flaw with your idea of refurbishing the line for passenger excursions - money. As you know, NJ is not the most rail-preservation oriented state out there - just look at the "progress" or lack thereof on a state museum. Would passenger trains bring in enough money to cover all the expense of not only refurbishing that track but maitaining it to the same standard? I can't imagine that it would.

Probably the only way that section of the railroad would be saved is if the state were to step in and offer to pay for the cost of refurbishing it for passenger service for the museum.

I won't hold my breath.

Kevin