• Alcos in Frontier?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NS59

While out at Frontier today in the late afternoon I heard a conversation between the dispatcher and crew concerning their power. They stated " We have two BNSF units leading and a pair of old Alcos dead-in-tow"

Anyone now anything about this????

Dave
  by jr

I heard something about a couple of BNSFs, with a couple of dead-in-tow Baldwin switchers, headed East. These were apparently former Erie Mining units. I don't have any other details, and did not see this myself.

JR

by SimTrains

I was out to Frontier today, and I spotted two brite red units, with a single white strip going down them. They were sitting together on the loop track on the west end. I was pretty far away on old broadway, so I couldn't quite make out the make and model of them. Or, perhaps they are just leased units.

by nessman

Those red and white units may be a Rochester & Southern mother/slug set I've been hearing about on the BPRR Yahoo group.

by sd80mac

On my group, which a member saw the powers and it also was reported in TO. THey're DAYS OLD MESSAGES, So dont go out at trackside looking for today's Q386 :)

ken

ps.. not sure if SLRS and Erie Mining co are same thing... SLRS must be a new owner...

From TO.

Updating thread from yesterday - Q386 with the SLRS Baldwins past
CP97 (Fairview, PA) at 1:30 PM.

From a member.
> Tonight's Q386 has 2 BNSF pumpkins on the point and 2 Baldwin
yellow switchers from Erie Mining Company.

by joshuahouse

Does anyone know where these Baldwins are headed too? My guess would be those guys in NJ that run several shortline opperations primarilly with Baldwins?

by metman499

Probably. SLRS is their reporting mark. They run SMS, Shortline Management Services, and PJRL, Penn-Jersey Rail Line. I have read that they did purchase some Erie Mining units that had not shipped, as of a month ago.

by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Actually, SMS doesn't stand for shortline management services. It stands for the three founders last names Smolsky McHugh and Sutch.