Railroad Forums 

• Alcos in Frontier?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#52004  by NS59

While out at Frontier today in the late afternoon I heard a conversation between the dispatcher and crew concerning their power. They stated " We have two BNSF units leading and a pair of old Alcos dead-in-tow"

Anyone now anything about this????

Dave
 #52136  by jr

I heard something about a couple of BNSFs, with a couple of dead-in-tow Baldwin switchers, headed East. These were apparently former Erie Mining units. I don't have any other details, and did not see this myself.

JR

#52232  by SimTrains

I was out to Frontier today, and I spotted two brite red units, with a single white strip going down them. They were sitting together on the loop track on the west end. I was pretty far away on old broadway, so I couldn't quite make out the make and model of them. Or, perhaps they are just leased units.

#52243  by nessman

Those red and white units may be a Rochester & Southern mother/slug set I've been hearing about on the BPRR Yahoo group.

#52568  by sd80mac

On my group, which a member saw the powers and it also was reported in TO. THey're DAYS OLD MESSAGES, So dont go out at trackside looking for today's Q386 :)

ken

ps.. not sure if SLRS and Erie Mining co are same thing... SLRS must be a new owner...

From TO.

Updating thread from yesterday - Q386 with the SLRS Baldwins past
CP97 (Fairview, PA) at 1:30 PM.

From a member.
> Tonight's Q386 has 2 BNSF pumpkins on the point and 2 Baldwin
yellow switchers from Erie Mining Company.

#52589  by metman499

Probably. SLRS is their reporting mark. They run SMS, Shortline Management Services, and PJRL, Penn-Jersey Rail Line. I have read that they did purchase some Erie Mining units that had not shipped, as of a month ago.

#52662  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Actually, SMS doesn't stand for shortline management services. It stands for the three founders last names Smolsky McHugh and Sutch.