• New GO Transit unit from MPI

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by PrimeMover

I awoke to a strange sound on a Saturday morning here in Boise... A train horn!

The old UP Boise branch runs about 200 ft from my house. The Idaho Northern & Pacific uses this line every weekday but very rarely on weekends
I saw the usual 2 IN&P GP40's pulling a Green and white loco. I figured it was some sort of commuter loco but I didn't give it too much thought.

I went over to Nampa Idaho later on today and I saw this brand new MP36 in GO Transit paint sitting in the IN&P yard! I've never seen GO Transit use anything except F59PH's.

Does anyone know how many were ordered from MPI? Are there any in use on GO Transit trains already?

by DutchRailnut

They are actually MP40's not MP36, 27 of them are ordered, I believe two are on GO property and testing.

Wabtec Awarded Contract To Build Commuter Locomotives For GO Transit; Order Valued At US$217 Million, Including Options

Wabtec Corporation's MotivePower subsidiary has been awarded a contract to build 27 new commuter locomotives for GO Transit, a transit system in Ontario, Canada, for US$112 million. The contract includes 26 option locomotives for an additional US$105 million, or a total of US$217 million. The locomotives will be built at MotivePower's Boise, Idaho facility, with work scheduled to begin in the first half of 2006 and deliveries scheduled for 2007-08. The locomotives will contain a number of components produced by other Wabtec subsidiaries, including braking equipment, air dryers, air compressors, brake shoes and radiators.

“We're very pleased to be selected by GO Transit to provide these new, high-efficiency locomotives, which will replace its existing fleet,” said William E. Kassling, Wabtec's chairman, president and chief executive officer. “Our MotivePower subsidiary has a successful track record of building similar locomotives for passenger transit operations in Illinois, California and New Mexico, and we look forward to providing more of the same service to GO Transit.”

The streamlined locomotives will have significant technological improvements compared to GO Transit's current fleet, including higher-horsepower engines to increase acceleration, greater fuel efficiency, reduced emissions and microprocessor controls. They will also meet new crashworthiness and safety standards set by the American Public Transportation Association.

“We are moving ahead to create a transit culture in this province,” said Harinder Takhar, Ontario Transportation Minister. “These new locomotives will help make GO service more efficient and reliable for more than 140,000 riders who take GO trains daily.”

GO Transit, officially named the Greater Toronto Transit Authority, is Canada's first and Ontario's only interregional public transit system. It links the city of Toronto with the surrounding area and carries 45 million passengers per year by train and bus.

Wabtec Corporation (www.wabtec.com) is one of North America's largest providers of value-added, technology-based products and services for the rail industry. Through its subsidiaries, the company manufactures a range of products for locomotives, freight cars and passenger transit vehicles. The company also builds new switcher and commuter locomotives, and provides aftermarket services, including locomotive and freight car fleet maintenance. The company has facilities located throughout the world.

by PrimeMover

Thanks for all that info Dutch! You've always got the down low on the good stuff!

by Ken V

To date only one unit has been delivered. It is still not in revenue service after more than three months of testing. There is additional info and some more photos in this thread: New Locomotives for GO Transit.

by Ken V

News article: Fast train pulls in, 18 minutes late. 'nuff said.

by W.E.Coyote

Ken V wrote:News article: Fast train pulls in, 18 minutes late. 'nuff said.
Maybe if they let a real engineer drive it wouldn't have been 18 minutes behind schedule.

Funny, I didn't get a GO e-alert about this train being late :)

by uhaul

Thanks for the news article and video. Sounds like some locomotives are going to be replaced by these new MP40s.