• CSX Signal Calling Revision

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by conrail_engineer

clearblock wrote:
conrail6479 wrote:not really. chruchville,coldwater,brighton,fairport,pittsford all say conrail on them still.
I guess you have not listened tonight, the Conrail is now gone on Brighton, Pittsford and Churchville.
It's been happening all over the system this week.

Curious that they can't find anything better to worry about, what with their track falling apart and locomotives going dead on the road. But, as you say, it's not Conrail anymore.

I don't believe they can just insert "CSX" onto the computer-voice. They have to replace the entire voice program; they've just opted to shorten the transmission.

CSX, FWIW, does not describe their detectors by named location; they have their detectors state the milepost to the tenth of a mile. More useless babble on the radio...

by RussNelson

conrail_engineer wrote:Point: CSX is INCAPABLE of changing attitudes or comparing systems for better results. My own take on this is that the Company is only MARGINALLY interested in moving trains - what they really groove on is safety campaigns, fancy posters, new promotions and other pheripherals.
Well, CSX is a 23B company with a market cap of 17B. Know any billionaires who want to play with choo-choos? Do you know how to improve operational efficiency by, say, 10%?

by conrail_engineer

I could improve it drastically - I can't show numerically that it would equal ten percent; but the improvements would be both logical and intuitive.

Start with: Find a way to move traffic at track speed; keep it moving until it gets where it needs to be. This would save money on starts/stops; on personnel (get the crews off and rested and on their next assignment; that translates to fewer crews doing more work with less time); and maintain the physical plant and equipment to where there are fewer crisis expenses and down-time.

Equitable labor relations would do the bottom line good, also - men can be led more easily than driven; and satisfied employees will always be more productive than angry and dispirited ones.

But this is off-topic and I won't elaborate further here.

by CSX4ever

CSX Conductor wrote:The trip logs and the calling of signals was started for one reason, to give the conductor something to do on the line of road because there are too many younger conductors sleep the entire trip. :( (Not that this has changed anything).
um, Yea, whatever...... how about the babies that are old enough to retire that choose not to because they haven't got a life? They seem to have no problems sleeping the whole trip......especially long-poolers.....and they cry about everything........and they make around 3 grand a week....... lol

by Noel Weaver

CSX4ever wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:The trip logs and the calling of signals was started for one reason, to give the conductor something to do on the line of road because there are too many younger conductors sleep the entire trip. :( (Not that this has changed anything).
um, Yea, whatever...... how about the babies that are old enough to retire that choose not to because they haven't got a life? They seem to have no problems sleeping the whole trip......especially long-poolers.....and they cry about everything........and they make around 3 grand a week....... lol
When a senior employee elects to retire is his/her business and not the
business of some disgruntled junior employee. When it is your turn to
hold a top job, you will, until then you best be satisfied with what you
have and if you do not like your job, you can always leave and go
elsewhere for work.
There are names for people like you too, would you like for me to put
them on here?
Noel Weaver

by charlie6017

Okay people,
Let's please get back on the topic of the new revision of signal calling.

Thanks!