• CSX Signal Calling Revision

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by lakeshoredave

he was down near erie....giving ec-1's on the road channel to all eb's for speed restrictions between ripley and brocton. i guess it doesn't matter on csx what channel they give um on. for me, it was a very impressive radio skip with my railcom antenna, so i wasn't complaining!

by mmi16

lakeshoredave wrote:he was down near erie....giving ec-1's on the road channel to all eb's for speed restrictions between ripley and brocton. i guess it doesn't matter on csx what channel they give um on. for me, it was a very impressive radio skip with my railcom antenna, so i wasn't complaining!
It does matter....and is a violation of the Company Radio Rules....There is a designated Dispatcher Channel on each territory and Mandatory Directives (which an EC-1 is) which must be repeated by the crew to the Dispatcher are to be done on the Dispatchers's Channel so the parties involved in the Mandatory Directive won't get walked on by all the other communications that are required to take place on the Road Channel. Any Dispatcher that issues EC-1's on the Road Channel is looking to make use of his Job Insuarance.....and soon. EC-1's are much too important to trust to being walked over by all the communications that is required to be on the Road Channel.

by CSX Conductor

The trip logs and the calling of signals was started for one reason, to give the conductor something to do on the line of road because there are too many younger conductors sleep the entire trip. :( (Not that this has changed anything).

by spatcher

lakeshoredave wrote:he was down near erie....giving ec-1's on the road channel to all eb's for speed restrictions between ripley and brocton. i guess it doesn't matter on csx what channel they give um on. for me, it was a very impressive radio skip with my railcom antenna, so i wasn't complaining!
Umm, yes it does matter. As mmi said, that dispatcher must have been looking to get run off. I am surprised that the crew did not refuse to do the EC-1 on the road channel.

by roadster

We've gotten into the practice, when a dsp tells us they have an EC-1 for us, we'll tell them, "We'll get our form out and meet U on Dsp channel".

by clearblock

shacnuf62089 wrote: are they starting to cut the "conrail" part out of the detectors? Cause whenever I hear the savannah detector i don't hear it say conrail. But maybe my radio is skipping that part... im not sure. But i hear it for centerport. Just wondering.
I noticed "Conrail" is also gone from the Brighton and Churchville detectors. I guess somebody finally realized this isn't Conrail anymore.

by Conrail4evr

clearblock wrote:
shacnuf62089 wrote: are they starting to cut the "conrail" part out of the detectors? Cause whenever I hear the savannah detector i don't hear it say conrail. But maybe my radio is skipping that part... im not sure. But i hear it for centerport. Just wondering.
I noticed "Conrail" is also gone from the Brighton and Churchville detectors. I guess somebody finally realized this isn't Conrail anymore.
Yeah, they've been out removing the Conrail part of it lately (there was a guy working on the Churchville detector today, actually...it still had Conrail in it yesterday, so it looks like today was it). I'm surprised they're not putting in "CSX" in...aren't they required to identify the railroad in the transmission?

by conrail6479

not really. chruchville,coldwater,brighton,fairport,pittsford all say conrail on them still.

by clearblock

conrail6479 wrote:not really. chruchville,coldwater,brighton,fairport,pittsford all say conrail on them still.
I guess you have not listened tonight, the Conrail is now gone on Brighton, Pittsford and Churchville.

by Conrail4evr

clearblock wrote:
conrail6479 wrote:not really. chruchville,coldwater,brighton,fairport,pittsford all say conrail on them still.
I guess you have not listened tonight, the Conrail is now gone on Brighton, Pittsford and Churchville.
And I do believe you're the only one to have ever heard this "Fairport" detector. There's East Palmyra and Lyons, but no Fairport. FYI, East Palmyra no longer says Conrail, and Lyons doesn't say it either, but with a twist - it now says "ons" instead of "Lyons"...go figure.

by lakeshoredave

The Fairport detector definitely exists.

Signed,
D1 College Football Having A Playoff, Barry Bonds Being A Fan Favorite, That Penn Central Detector Someone Heard, and People On Message Boards Having A Sense Of Humor

GOOD NIGHT NOW!

by sd80mac

lakeshoredave wrote:The Fairport detector definitely exists.

Signed,
D1 College Football Having A Playoff, Barry Bonds Being A Fan Favorite, That Penn Central Detector Someone Heard, and People On Message Boards Having A Sense Of Humor

GOOD NIGHT NOW!
there is no such thing as Fairport detector... I do know... even thorugh I'm deaf and I never able to hear ANY of detectors... but I DO KNOW...

by Amtrak700

Ahhh yes CSUX strikes again.....and let me tell ya, its alot of fun calling a signal every 1-2 min at 90-110mph north of poughkeepsie on the hudson, where there is cab signals w/ waysides, not to mention no freight traffic in daylight except the hudson local..next thing will be warning signs, etc...I wish these hayseeds would just go away for good....

by CSX-Dan5377

Nope Wrong Again Matt, Did they say that as the NYSW SD50's where going over them?

by conrail_engineer

Conrail4evr wrote:
lakeshoredave wrote:i heard a couple trains last week calling some of the automatics, but this is going to really clog up the radio....railfanning wise i guess it will help out, but for railroaders its gotta more painful than a root canal!
It doesn't help us much when it's busy out there, believe me...the radio gets so jammed up that we're in the same boat as the crews, not being able to make out anything because there's so much radio traffic and people talking over eachother. I'm wondering how long this will last before they realize it's a bad idea and go back to calling just the CP's (IF they go back).
They WON'T.

This is not a new problem on CSX. That ten-mile stretch from GN Tower to Willard Yard has ALWAYS been a farce - so much noise on the radio that it's useless, you can't even hear anyone for the overlapping transmissions.

That is CSX's way - slo-mo trains and chaos on the radio channels. Back when we were still working under NORAC, going around the bend from the New Castle Sub at GN, onto the Indy Line at the CP-54 diamond, was like getting onto the on-ramp on the freeway. Ratchet up the speed; things are free and easy from here on.

No more. Now it's chaos all the way into Collinwood; and it's not much better on the Lake Shore Sub, the old Chicago Line.

Point: CSX is INCAPABLE of changing attitudes or comparing systems for better results. My own take on this is that the Company is only MARGINALLY interested in moving trains - what they really groove on is safety campaigns, fancy posters, new promotions and other pheripherals.