• CSXT SD40 4601 retired

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by WM7436

SOU2645 wrote:CSX has been rapidly cleaning out the deadlines. PRSX has cut up several SD's for CSX recently. The SD40's have parts taken and then are getting scrapped. 4601 was a casulty of this.
Larry
I hate to burst your bubble but I see 4601 every day while I'm at work. At the CSX Huntington Shops. She has not been scrapped. Retired, but not scrapped. :wink:

by SOU2645

well someone else got their info wrong then. it had been posted on other sites that this unit had been cut up. It likely will be soon enough...
Larry

by SOU2645

Engineer James wrote:2667 Was here at Rougemere Yard a week or two ago. Missed her.....

And CSX would be crazy to get rid of the #4617!
CSX wont keep it. Apparently they now have a no donation policy in effect as well (except for GP40-2 6341 (ex B&O 4447) and the last B&O SD50. If it's to be saved upon its looming retirement - someone better have cash on hand.
Larry

by Engineer James

I'll agree with that. But, why not? Why can't CSX Hold on to anything that is a historical piece of rail euqipment.

How much do you think they would sell her for?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

they should donate her when they are done with her to a RR museum like conrail did with one of their loco's

by SOU2645

CSX has been generous over the years as had been CR and NS too with loco donations. Amongst CSX's donated power:

U25B 3416 (now at SARM in Oak Ridge TN through a series of events)

SD35 4550 (B&O museum)

GP40 6500 (B&O museum)

GP30M 4253 (B&O museum)

SW900 9408 (B&O museum)

F7B 119 (B&O museum - now at TVRM)

GP38 9699 (B&O museum)

Also donated: F3AU 116, a C&O GP7, a C&O SD18, a C&O SW9 (some of these resold by museums).

Larry

P.S. GP40-2 6063 (nee B&O GM50) is also slated for preservation.

by Engineer James

GREAT! Especially GM50! I did not think she was still around! Good to know.

Now why is #116 Considered a F3AU? I have never heard of this classification before now.

by SOU2645

116 was built as CRR F3A 800 (or F5A as some refer to the very late transitional F3's as). CRR upgraded it to full F7 mechanical specs in the early 50's - except it retained its dynamic brake vent grids instead of having a cooling fan as F7's did.
Larry

by Engineer James

Ok. Now what road is CRR?

by WM7436

Engineer James wrote:Ok. Now what road is CRR?
Clinchfield.

by Engineer James

Ok. I really do not know much about them....

I knew that CSX had gotten them from Clinchfield, but thats all I know.