• CSXT SD40 4601 retired

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Conrail1990

CSX Better keep CSX 4617. Isant that like the last C&O unit still alive?

by scooter3798

As far as I know the 4617 is still on the roster, and yes it is the last unit on the roster wearing C&O paint, albeit not the greatest looking paint job though. As for the 4601 it has been off the roster for a couple of months now. Having gone to the way side with the new Gevos arriving. I don't know if it has been scrapped yet, but I can't imagine it will survive much longer if it hasn't.

Scooter

by nick_anshant

CSX 4617 is still around. I spotted it 4/23 headed west for Cumberland, MD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxQMLfKnzkw

Nick

by Conrail1990

I subscribed to your videos a while ago.

by mu26aeh

Last edited by mu26aeh on Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by mu26aeh

I'm glad the sd50/60s haven't starting leaving yet. Thats generally all we get on my sub, with a few sd40-2's or a gp40/slug set thrown in once in awhile for good measure. Don't know what else they'd use, as I think track isn't strong enough for new gevo's, as so I was told few years ago.

by Bryanjones

uhaul wrote:CSXT has started to deturbo its SD50s and renaming them as SD50-2s.
http://www.bullsheet.com/roster.cfm?class=SD50-2
NO, the SD50's are NOT being deturbo'ed. The units have the governor replaced with a different model and the fuel rack is adjusted which results in the units being derated to 3000hp. The resulting unit is classed SD50-2.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

by Tadman

If I recall, the reason the 50-series was such a crapper was the extra RPM's that were needed to generate the extra power - does this new governor limit the RPM's to the 40-series redline?

by SOU2645

4601 has been scrapped. Progress Rail cut it up for CSX.
Larry

by lvrr325

4617 is in a recent Railpace, either March April or May.

They should keep it just because it's the prototype for the current paint scheme, it's kind of ironic that it lasted long enough for the railroad to come full circle to more or less the same paint scheme that was on it all along.

by uhaul

The May 07 Railpace Newsmagazine did have a photo of 4617, but back to CSX 4601. They scrapped it already? It is only April and it was retired in December.

by SOU2645

CSX has been rapidly cleaning out the deadlines. PRSX has cut up several SD's for CSX recently. The SD40's have parts taken and then are getting scrapped. 4601 was a casulty of this.
Larry

by Engineer James

2667 Was here at Rougemere Yard a week or two ago. Missed her.....

And CSX would be crazy to get rid of the #4617!